cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SPA504G freeze

markprice9
Level 1
Level 1

We have 7 SPA504G phones recently deployed, connected to an ESW 520 24P PoE switch.

At very random times, a phone will "freeze" such that the screensaver is stuck and the time displayed on it stands still.  Pressing keys on the phone including menu button do not show any results on the screen of the phone.

Oddly, I was able to ping the phone when this happened and also load the web interface in my browser.  The web interface shows the current time on the phone being the same time that is "frozen" on the screensaver.

This doesn't seem to be related to a calling or QOS issue as my phone froze at 6:18am before anyone was in the office.

All phones are running the current latest firmware, 7.4.6

95 Replies 95

l.dickerson
Level 1
Level 1

Ah, my bad. Well - as long as it's working for you.

stefano.losi
Level 1
Level 1

CISCO technicians sent me a beta version of next firmware, and it seems that my SPA504G don't freeze anymore.

If you are interested in having this, please contact me: stefano dot losi at paolobeltramispa.it.

keith-perry
Level 1
Level 1

We have over 40 SPA504Gs and they all freeze at the time the screen saver is scheduled to kick in (default is 300 seconds). Disabling the screen saver from the remote software platform stops the freezing. However they now freeze after 25 minutes (1500 seconds). The handset doesn't need to be idle for this to happen, i.e. if you are say scrolling through menu options or making a call it will still freeze. Has anybody else seen this issue? Looking at the other postings I can see that most other people are getting random freezes but our experience is not random.

I initially thought my lock-ups were due to screen saver.  They were frequent, but in terms of days, not minutes.  When I turned off screen saver, I went as long as 3 weeks until my next lock-up.  When I turned it back on, lock-ups were with-in days again.  Screen saver, in my case, seemed to only be a contributing factor, but not the sole cause.

Since I reconfigured my network so that my SPA504G is behind SPA2102 NAT-Router ATA , I have not had any further lock-ups.  It has now been ~ 6 weeks since I reconfigured my network.  I even re-enabled screen saver with not problems now.

Previously, I had WRT54G connected to LAN side of SPA2102 and then SPA504G connected to WRT-54G.  For some reason SPA504 didn't like this configuration.

The screen saver is definitely one cause of freezing. This can be proved repeatedly, with it switched on the handset will freeze at the time the screen saver is supposed to kick in. However they also freeze at random times. I reset three handsets yesterday at 16:25, one froze at 16:43, one froze at 06:06 today and one froze at 07:07 today. I don't think using SPA2102 devices is going to be practical for us as we have about 50 devices. Another post mentions a beta release of firmware from Cisco which I have now got so I might try that.

Hi Community,

This is not appropriate phone behavior and I will do everything I can to help each of you. I'm also alerting my colleagues to these reports.

Unfortunately I'm out of the office until early January, but in the interim here are some thoughts:

1. The new 7.4.7 firmware should be available on Cisco.com over the next few days
    Here's a link to where it will show up: http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/navigator.html?mdfid=282733326&i=rm
    Please try it and verify that problem is resolved.

2. I need help replicating your problem. If I can replicate the issue, I will report a bug and get the issue resolved *fast*

I'm running phones in my lab and am not experiencing the reported issue. Please email me, paborn but make sure that

you put "Cisco SPA504G freeze" in the subject else I may not see your email. Provide if possible:

a. Your phone's configuration. Here's what I need: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9933

b. Details on how I can replicate the problem. I need *exact* information please. Help me help you.

c. If you can supply a WireShark trace of the network that would be extremely helpful. This would enable me to determine
        if the phone is doing something on the network.

d. Turn on debugging, level 3 on the phone. Here's how: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9934
        If you're running WireShark, there's no need to run the slogsrv.exe because WireShark will provide me the information I need.

e. I need to know *every* change that you have made to the phone since it was factory reset. This will aide in figuring out the root cause.

3. Lastly, if this is urgent, PLEASE contact Cisco support:

Here's how to locate support in your geography: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Thanks for your patience and continued support. I / we at Cisco will get you through this issue,

Regards,

Patrick

----------

You only need one reference document for all SPA phone firmware, information, and utilities.

I have attached the configuration file.

The freezing I am experiencing is when the screen saver is scheduled to start. If the screen saver is disabled the freezing can happen at random intervals from a few minutes to several hours.

The freezing affects all buttons on the handset. If it freezes during a call the call stays active but obviously you can't end the call. You can also browse to the phone and ping it during its frozen state.

The firmware version I am using is 7.4.4. Another post here says that upgrading to a beta version of 7.4.6 cured the problem for him. I have the 7.4.6 beta but I haven't tried it yet and I think I will wait until 7.4.7 is released.

I am sure it is a configuration issue but that is all handled by our SIP provider.

I see that 7.4.7 is posted at http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=282724650&flowid=5300&softwareid=282463651

I have a question, you mention screen saver but I don't see screen saver settings on the 50x, I only see it on the 525 in the user tab under screen at the bottom.  On the phone UI, under preferences, screen preferences on the 525 but no equivalent seen on the 50x.

Thanks for that, it wasn't there six hours ago. I have just downloaded it and will try it next week.

Screen saver is under option 20 if I remember correctly, or use your browser and go to the phone tab.

Thanks, I see the option now.  Can you send the pic that's being used for the screen saver?  My email address is nseto at cisco.com

I am not using a pic for the screen saver. There are about four options for the screen saver such as date and time, .bmp, lock and something else (can't remember) but it doesn't matter which it is set to, the device will freeze if screen saver is enabled. As I said in a previous post I am sure it is a config issue because if I set the device to factory default and don't register it witrh our SIP provider it doesn't freeze. You can email me at kperry at tickets.com

I have upgraded to 7.4.7 on one device but it is now unable to get an IP address. It is set to DHCP. If I change it to static IP there doesn't seem to be the ability to enter the IP address manually.

Can you get a wireshark so that we can see why it's not getting ip address?  A capture showing the difference between 7.4.6 and 7.4.7 would be great.  Thanks.

I will try and get a wireshark done today. For your information I upgraded from 7.4.4. to 7.4.7.

On the freezing issue I have some more information: I have put one of the devices onto an ADSL line and enabled the screen saver. not only did it not freeze when the screen saver kicked in but it hasn't frozen for over 12 hours now. They only appear to freeze when connected to our corporate network. This is via three Cisco 2960 POE switches. When I connect to the ADSL line I'm not using POE but a separate power supply.

Two wireshark capture files attached.