Views
Helpful
Replies

CUE can not contact SMTP

Mike Clements
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Handsets are a mix of 7971GE, 7975G and 7937G, PBX is a UC520-32U-8FXO-K9, switch is a WS-C4506 with gig PoE blades.

I wiped our UC520 and installed software pack 8.6.2 fresh, then re-configured to meet our spec.

I can not get CUE to send an email to the SMTP server, I want to have it forward voicemail messages to email via SMTP (don't want to use the IMAP interface).

I have tried

(a) sending test messages using the CLI (test voicemail notification email address my.address@mydomain.com), the response was "Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.mydomain.com, port: 25" after waiting about 60-90 seconds

(b) sending test messages using the CUE WebUI (CUE -> System -> SMTP Settings -> Test SMTP Settings), the response was "Test Result: Could not connect to SMTP host: smtp.mydomain.com, port: 25" after waiting about 60-90 seconds

(c) logged into the CUE CLI (ISE 0/0) I can ping the SMTP server by DNS and IP, DNS resolves to the correct IP (10.90.0.1), that IP is on the same subnet as the UC520 with no firewall's in-between (other than the UC's own).

(d) similar to CUE, from CME/IOS I can ping the SMTP server by DNS & IP

(e) I can also telnet from CME/IOS to the SMTP server on port 25, connect properly and send a test message to myself.  Similarly I can using this command:

"telnet smtp.mydomain.com 25 /source-interface integrated-Service-Engine 0/0"

(f) I have tried 3 SMTP servers (GroupWise, Barracuda Anti-SPAM and FreeSMTP).  The logging shows no attempt to connect to the TCP port, no connections rejected etc...

(g) I have monitored the firewalls to see if its routing incorrectly, no traffic appears on the firewalls from the PBX.

(h) the SMTP sever can ping all the IP addresses of the PBX (10.90.0.4, 10.90.1.254, 10.90.3.1, 10.90.3.2, 172.16.90.4)

(.i) there is no SMTP relaying involved, the destination email address is hosted by the server itself

(j) I have tried using SMTP auth credentials, and without (they are not required by the server).

Please help, the only thing I can think of is the local firewall on the UC520 is blocking CUE sending SMTP but then its not blocking my telnet connection and I have "fiddled" with the access-lists to allow any and it still doesn't work.  Any ideas are welcome, would really like to get voicemail messages via email again.

I have posted a full config (CME/IOS & CUE) here (https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4029850).  I considered copying it to this thread as well but I figured it would just clutter up the thread.

Thanks,

MC

16 Replies 16

When traffic from SMTP server hits JunOS and then goes towards UC500, the JunOS device is not changing the source IP. So the UC500 will still see the same source IP i.e. 10.90.0.1. However, the problem is that the JunOS device is invoking the inherently enabled SPI functionality (Stateful packet inspection) and that functionality blocks the response from the SMTP server to the CUE. If you capture the traffic on the JunOS device or on the port where JunOS device is connected (you need to remove the static route to see the effect), you will see that the traffic from SMTP server hits the JunOS device, but will not return back on the same interface towards UC500.

Nagaraja

Brian Rapier
Level 1
Level 1

After reading through this, the first thought is a routing issue, we ran into the same issue with our 560.

Vlan1 - Data 10.90.0.0/24

Vlan100 - Voice 10.90.1.0/24

Vlan90 - CUE 10.90.3.0/30

Here are the static routes we had to add to get things flowing correctly.

On your vlan1 router

- static routes to vlan100 and vlan90 via vlan1 10.90.0.4 (I am assuming this is the data network connection)

On the SMTP server:

- static route to CUE (10.90.3.0/30) via vlan1 (10.90.0.4) connection

After looking through your full config in your other thread it seems your vlan90 is loopback0 must be a difference between 520 and 560.