cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Paging through phones and external simultaneously on UC560

David Schau
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new install that just threw me a bit of a twist.  They would like to page through both the phones and an old external paging system.  I have previously used an interface between an FXO port and external paging on CUCM and CUMBE with an adapter and an access code to hit the FXP port but I am not sure if I can do both on the UC560 for the same paging code. 

Anyone here ever had any success doing both?

37 Replies 37

Kudos to Daniel (and David's!) suggestion of using a SPA phone for overhead paging with the UC560! We had the amp tied into the FXS port on the UC560, but we still couldn't page both on the handsets and overhead even with a blast group. Also, we noticed that there was a bit of crackling and popping at the start of each page, and all the overhead speakers produced white noise. We bought a SPA504g (we wanted a true display) for $80 on ebay. Popped it open (use tiny flathead to defeat the "tamper-proof" screws in the SPA phone). Cut the speaker wires off the speaker inside and stuck them through one of the screw holes (no drilling needed). Put the unit back together. Used scotch-locks to tie the speaker wires to a pair of wires off of CAT5 that ran to the amp. Voila! Perfect. We actually had to turn the amp volume down. No popping, no crackling, no white noise. We taped the phone down (as you can see by our lovely picture, don't tape down the buttons though) and stuck it on the back wall of the IT closet where we could get to it if needed. Total cost: $82.00 for phone, scotch locks, piece of CAT5, two pieces of tape, and about 30 mins to modify and install. Downside: it uses one phone license.

Don't forget to assign an extension to the new phone and place it in your paging group!

I know this thread is old, but I seek assistance, as I am a  NEWB when it comes to Cisco Voice. Doing my first deployment with an overhead paging system.

I've modified an 7940, with a cat5 pair off the speaker connectin and have it connected to the clients existing Bogen TPU-15a. I have a speed-dial button configured on a 7961 that calls a ephone-dn extension setup for paging. 

The problem is, it pages through all of the ephones that have the paging group assignment, but doesnt page through the  7940. In testing, if  I activate the speaker on the 7940, I get dial-tone through my overhead speakers.

Here is the DN config for the intercom dn;

============================================

!
ephone-dn  24
 number 95404
 name Intercom
 paging ip 239.1.1.10 port 2000
!

===================

Here is the ephone config for the 7940

ephone  77
 device-security-mode none
 description PagePhone
 mac-address 0011.202B.9872
 paging-dn 24 unicast
 type 7940
 button  1:77
!

====================

Here are the ephone config for the 7961 that  the  users use

ephone  31
 description User1
 mac-address 001B.5494.8E23
 ephone-template 5
 speed-dial 1 95404 label "Intercom"
 paging-dn 24 unicast
 type 7961
 button  1:31 2s20 3s21 4s22
 button  5s23
!
!
!
ephone  32
 description User2
 mac-address 0018.B9EB.E3DF
 ephone-template 5
 speed-dial 1 95404 label "Intercom"
 paging-dn 24 unicast
 type 7961
 button  1:32 2s20 3s21 4s22
 button  5s23
!

===========================

I get sound to the PA system, if I active the speaker on the 7940. However, when press one of the  buttons on the  7961 that dials the number of the  intercom DN, it works through all the  other 7961 hand sets, but  doesn't  page through the  speaker of the 7940...

Any ideas????

The beauty of using the 7940 as you did is that you can set this up via the CCA GUI. The 7940 will appear in Phones & Extensions just like a normal user (no voicemail!). Then add the 7940's extension to the paging group and you're done.

However, in CLI, this is what CCA does:

ephone-dn 1        <-sets up ext 599 for the page all group

number 599 no-reg primary

description IP-Paging1

name Page All

paging ip 239.1.1.1 port 2000

ephone 27  <-sets up the physical paging phone, just like a regular phone!

mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

ephone-template 16

max-calls-per-button 2

username "Pphone" password 123456

paging-dn 1        <-Assigns this phone to the Page all group at x599

type 504g

button 1:571       <-Points to this phone's DN that uses ext550

ephone-dn 571 dual-line

number 550 no-reg primary       <-Assigns ext 550 to paging phone

label 550                      <-Makes the extension # show up on the phone's display

description Paging Phone         <-Nice description for the phone's display

name Paging Phone

And, as you know already, you can setup the paging ext 599 as a speed dial at each person's phone, or you can have them dial 5-9-9 to page.

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same issue.  I modified the phone exactly as you did above, but where in the amp did you connect the wires from the phone speaker wire to?

Thanks!

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same issue.  I modified the phone exactly as you did above, but where in the amp did you connect the wires from the phone speaker wire to?

TIMOTHY,

Can you please show the extended version of how to configure this, I am very new to cisco products and having a very hard time putting this into motion. I would really like to user my 201, however still stuck on how to configure it.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Scott

Hello Tim

I have in similar situation at one of my clients. They have CyberData Overhead SIP paging and I have configure that as extension 701, They have a paging group with multiple phones (SPA504) and I used default ext 101 for that.

Now they want to page both simultaneously and I am stuck.

Could you please help with the commands..

best regards

n.veilleux
Level 1
Level 1

You can also use an Algo 8180 SIP Audio Alerter. Very easy to install.

http://www.algosolutions.com/products/Audible-and-Visual-Alerting/8180-sip-audio-alerter.html