cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA525G with UC540 - caller id and called-name - phone display help needed

alltraders001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a UC540 with 18 SPA525G2 phones (4 deployed using VPN).

The phone call quality is great, even between Australia and Thailand.

Our first issue is that the display on the phones doesn't show the  callers name (when the caller is saved in the company directory or in  the phones directory). It only shows the callers phone number twice. I  can't find any way to get it to display the callers name if the callers  number is in our directory. Please help me with this if you can.

Our second issue is that we have multiple departments with multiple  incoming phone numbers coming into the system. Some of our phones  receive calls from multiple departments (multiple incoming numbers). In  order to answer the phone appropriately we need to see which of our  phone numbers (or corresponding department name) is being called. Cisco  advertised this feature with the UC500 series and it is called  "called-name". I have looked but cant find anyway to turn this on for  our phones. Can someone please help me with this?

As you could imagine, without these two advertised features working  on our system, we are having difficulty answering the phones the way we  would like.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Michael

40 Replies 40

Hi Paolo,

From my understanding, Australian exchanges, unlike the rest of the world, don't send a users name as well as the phone number with the call. The only way we will get a name to match the phone number is via a local directory and only if it is made to work (at some future time).

On our phones we get the phone number displayed and it is repeated on two lines. Querying the directory using CLI shows the directory entries correctly. When we phone from one of the local directory entries' phones, all the system shows is the phone number repeated on two lines. The displayed phone number matches both the incoming callers number and matches the phone number in the directory. All of my tests have been using only Cisco equipment as outlined above.

My system is completely CCA compliant. As such I am not willing to use "other advanced techniques" to get this to work. This is an advertised feature and not only should it work, but it also should have been addressed as Cisco have known about this for many months.

Even with that issue it is a great phone system. However, because of that issue, it is not easy for us as a reseller to recommend it to others.

Michael

Michael,

As explained in documentation, "service dnis dir-lookup" does not rely on the exchange sending any name.

Beside, what you want is the called name, not the calling one.

I have already explained to you above why the "advertised feature" may not work on the entry point phones, that are really not fully CME compliant. Good luck arguing with Cisco about that.

Finally, the decision to stay with CCA and suffer all the limitations that it introduces, or use the CME system to its full potential, lies totally with you.

I have escalated my case about this with Cisco and they say the issue is not with the spa series phones.

If it is and you are correct I'm sure there will not be a problem arguing that the spa phones were sold as Cisco and therefore should work.

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Tim,

I think the case number is 619520399. I have just written to Cisco and have asked for an update and for them to confirm that I have the right number.

Michael

Guys,

The issue has nothing to do with SPA phones, from Software Pack 8.1 and above the Directory look-up broke and it might be related to it being moved to an XML format I am not entirely sure, I have got it to work manually on some systems but then others even doing it manually via CLI it still wouldn't work (I cannot possibly explain this).

The reason the number is being displayed on the phone twice is because it is not able to translate a name to the number when it looks it up in the directory, so it just defaults to the number associated to the name, which I guess is fair enough.

Persistence guys, keep knocking on Cisco's door to get them to resolve it, If I was still working with a Cisco partner or even on Cisco products (well I do in my spare time anyway) I would be helping you both with it, but just keep badgering them until they get it resolved, and PLEASE do not hesitate to get this escalated to engineering level, and even then ask for it to go to Management within engineering.

Lastly... You could beg someone like Dave Harper to help you guys look into this, he is a Champion with getting stuff like this resolved one way or another, but he is probably rejoicing that he wont get bugged by me for a long time... Well I do owe him a drink or two and I will deliver on that promise Dave .

It is an important feature and I agree that it should have been fixed a long time ago, please just be persistent with following it up, I know you shouldn't have to but if you don't, potentially no one else will.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Gone to level 2 with a 'promise' it will work as expected!

They wrote their own lines of cli to 'prove' it will work!! Haha completely missing the point...

Believe me this will be resolved as the customer is demanding it - and who wouldn't!

The case number I've created for this issue is 620225363 if that helps anyone else.

Unfortunately I'm about 2 hours away from the broken install and won't get there until next week. I really needed to get away from the situation for my own sanity..

Will keep this post updated

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Tim,

Yeah I know it works via CLI in "MOST" cases, but there have been instances where it would work even though I know it should

When you use CCA it creates an XML file for this as well (Didn't notice this until I analyzed the Debugging screen and followed the bread crumbs), not sure if this is the path they are going down or if it is used for something else, via CLI I just use the Directory setup in telephony-service.

Anyway interesting times ahead

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

I really happen to think that everybody should finally realize that the CCA/GUI du jour is just a bolt-on with major chances of adding bugs on bugs, limitations on limitations.

Someone will jump on me to say how the system is sold to be GUI-only, the support issues, or whatever other excuse that doesn't change the sorry state of the product with current marketing strategy.

Fact is, CME is a CLI system. I can't change that, you can't, even Cisco can't.

But, one can acknowledge that, or keep banging head on it.

CCA is actually the only reason why the UC500 sells.  UC500 is mainly sold by select partners who have no CLI background.  Cisco invested 100 million into the small business arena to compete with vendors that have an easy to use interface with low complexity.  You cant get a guy selling Shoretel to sell Cisco CME if he knows nothing about CLI.  If Cisco wants to compete in SMB they have to shorten the deployment cycle and make it cost effective and that's what CCA does.  Remember, Cisco is partner driven.

Thanks Marcus for providing exactly the kind of answer I had anticipated.

Cisco got where is now making CLI routers. There was plenty of competition having GUIs, where are they now?

The winning parters achieving the Cisco sales above just learned the CLI, that in case of CME only takes few minutes anyway.

Anyway, I never that said a GUI hasn't to be there. Of course there can be, but not to the point of penalizing the overall system making it mandatory (but then again, only for the less informed).

From an engineering and technical perspective, what you say makes sense.  Unfortunately SMB partners usually have few very people on staff (2-5) that need to fill many roles.  SMB, Mid Market and Enterprise are different.  SMB partners would love to have the time and resources to master CLI and dive into more complex solutions, but they need to start somewhere.   So to hit the ground running, GUI is the preferred method.

Cisco didn't always force select partners to only use CLI, at first they allowed CLI and CCA.  After working with 30+ partners in the SMB space, I can see why they changed.  Select partners with no CLI experience were flooding STAC with calls ranging from install help to CLI changes they made, that caused unexpected results.  The support costs were more than the revenue from the sale.  So, Cisco made it simple, if you are select with no Ex-UC specialization, than you are only supported via CCA.  If you have CLI experience and you have the Ex-UC specialization, you will be supported via CLI, but you can't do both because it will cause CCA to be unstable. 

I hope that clarifies things and posting to genuinely help people is more important than ratings or points, so don't worry about it, you have a million already

I think the issue is that people need to realise this BEFORE they try to deploy them!

The GUI is really just an easy way to set your very first one up. after that i'm sure copy/pasting CLI would be far more efficient and accurate!

Hi Tim,

Not something I would advise you to  do, no two systems are the same, not even always in hardware thus  working of a text file is fraught with danger... A properly built system  with CCA should work with far less problems then a CLI based systems, and i know this for certain.

The issue at hand to try and keep the thread on topic without me Hijacking it, is quite simple.

1. Cisco stuffed up with the introduction of the SBCS and the policies surrounding it, they failed big time in adequately training Select Partners on CCA, its concepts, and how the support mechanisms work... The biggest issue of all is that CCa is seriously miss-understood and is constantly given grief by the old school CLI masters, this is Cisco's fault and falls squarely at their feet. Those who understand CCA  and its purpose (And I spent a truck load of hours in beta testing  since version 1.9) know that it has a greater purpose, and not just a  tool for those who are CLI illiterate or do not have the certification, it is a tool to future proof Cisco's SMB model by reducing unnecessary support demands and stripping away the inconsistencies that comes with CLI setups, every single CLI  based configuration is based on the individual who wrote it up not on a  standard set by Cisco because there is not one, imagine having to  support this moving into the future with SMB products that have reached the masses??? Yes think about it for a second with some logic :-)
  2. The worst problem of them all was bringing in the policy that if you design and build the system in CCA and you are not EX-UC certified, they will not assist with configuration via CLI for things that CCA  does not support yet, or had troubles doing, or is bugged out on  etc..etc.. I will openly say it, who ever come up with this policy needs  their heads read because not only is it stupid, but it is moronic and  counter productive and should have even been considered when the  policies were being drawn up Actually when you think about it, it is really an oxy-moron and places  un-due stress and pressure on a Select Partner who Cisco are supposed to  be fully supporting... Seriously guys just for even a split second,  think about this policy and reverse it, and create a new one that is  compatible and works with the direction you are trying to head, do not  enforce a CCA policy on Select partners, and then when something cannot be achieved with CCA leave partners out in the cold, it is a dumb and callas act PERIOD!!!

Now  I know Michael and Tim's issue can be resolved to a degree with CLI,  but since I have endevoured on all accounts to avoid reverting back to  CLI I never persued it, thinking that Cisco would have resolved this  months ago (Yes it has been happening for a long time now guys???).

If  the issues progresses to a point where it puts you in jeopardy with  your client, or it creates a hardship for your business, PM me and I  will set the time aside to assist you with getting this to work, I can  make sure it is CCA compliant so it at least will not break CCA,  but I reiterate my comments above, please keep bashing on Cisco's door  and force them (If you will) to resolve the issue and not sit idle on  it.

Cheers,

David.

David Trad wrote:

Hi Tim,

Not something I would advise you to  do, no two systems are the same, not even always in hardware thus  working of a text file is fraught with danger... A properly built system  with CCA should work with far less problems then a CLI based systems, and i know this for certain

For sure, you meant to say, a "CLI based system configured by an incompetent, or careless technician".

The issue at hand to try and keep the thread on topic without me Hijacking it, is quite simple.

1. Cisco stuffed up with the introduction of the SBCS and the policies surrounding it, they failed big time in adequately training Select Partners on CCA, its concepts, and how the support mechanisms work... The biggest issue of all is that CCa is seriously miss-understood and is constantly given grief by the old school CLI masters, this is Cisco's fault and falls squarely at their feet. Those who understand CCA  and its purpose (And I spent a truck load of hours in beta testing  since version 1.9) know that it has a greater purpose, and not just a  tool for those who are CLI illiterate or do not have the certification, it is a tool to future proof Cisco's SMB model by reducing unnecessary support demands and stripping away the inconsistencies that comes with CLI setups, every single CLI  based configuration is based on the individual who wrote it up not on a  standard set by Cisco because there is not one,

Actually, there are quality CLI configuration standards. And thinking that minor differences prevent people from understanding or achieving their goals, is an insult to their intelligence. Anyway, I want to say how Cisco is not alone in this painful situation.

Few months ago I was at the install site of small business, some sort of public school. They were struggling (among other things) with having a router/firewall made by a very prominent Cisco competitor, to work with a SIP trunk. The GUI of this box was a pitiful job, with configuration elements disjointed over different pages of little logicalness, it did not looked and performed any better that Cisco GUIs. Finally they called their TAC, that kind of laughed and said, "Oh, but you don't do that with the GUI!".

At the same location, they used some "cisco" 2000 gigabit PoE switches, due to their cheapness. I quickly learn i had to HIT ctrl-z to break into an IOS-resembling CLI just to do the very basic configuration needed. However to this day, the business unit  that makes that products, thinks that the world is not smart enough for them to document the CLI - desplicable decision.

A final anedocts, I was in an holiday location trying to get the PPPoE credentials out of an Asian-made ADSL router, to replace it with my UC520 that incidentally I had with me. I failed in extracting the password, but learnt that -Oh, surprise- the device can be fully and completely configured with telnet.

I really don't seen the point in negating this simple fact, network devices are better managed by CLI, but the consumer or small business grade ones requires they come with a GUI. Cisco understood this some lustres ago and they are doing their things, fine with me as long that doesn't interfere with how the product really works.

imagine having to  support this moving into the future with SMB products that have reached the masses??? Yes think about it for a second with some logic :-)
  • The worst problem of them all was bringing in the policy that if you design and build the system in CCA and you are not EX-UC certified, they will not assist with configuration via CLI for things that CCA  does not support yet, or had troubles doing, or is bugged out on  etc..etc.. I will openly say it, who ever come up with this policy needs  their heads read because not only is it stupid, but it is moronic and  counter productive and should have even been considered when the  policies were being drawn up Actually when you think about it, it is really an oxy-moron and places  un-due stress and pressure on a Select Partner who Cisco are supposed to  be fully supporting... Seriously guys just for even a split second,  think about this policy and reverse it, and create a new one that is  compatible and works with the direction you are trying to head, do not  enforce a CCA policy on Select partners, and then when something cannot be achieved with CCA leave partners out in the cold, it is a dumb and callas act PERIOD!!!
  • I understand where do you come from but actually I totally agree with this Cisco policy. To me, it means the following:

- We (Cisco) know that we cannot sell SMB asking small dealers to "learn first and sell after". They, like their customer, want to be sweet-talked with "ease of use", and two 400-something pages manuals would scare them. It doesn't matter if any good PBX and CO switch has been adminsitered by decades with obscure CLIs compared to which IOS is plain English. JUST DON'T MENTION CLI BEFORE SALE IS MADE:

- We then introduce the best GUI we could, of course "everybody" with a little experience knows that it cannot do anything, and in some case, not even something. But, it's good enough to make the system work to an acceptable point. Of course, the definition of "acceptable" varies from an individual to another, and here where's the problems begin.

- Then, out of desperation or whatever reason, the dealer and end-users above, try the CLI, without any previous training or studying effort

The results are often catastrophic. We all have seen them before - configuration snippets sent as BMP screenshots, useless commands inserted anywhere just because they were in the examples, no understanding of the" basics of nature things" that dictate and why things works - or not. In a word, inability to properly and professional communicate with the TAC to get the issue solved.

- The Cisco decision is then logical - show me first that you put some effort in learning how to do things, and then I will start talking you in the real language - CLI.

And by the way, we all know how in this world of cheatsheets aweb-learning, how ridicusly easy the Cisco certifications have become. At a small partner I have been working with, the UC specialization has just been "tick'd on" by someone at Cisco - they figure that with a CCIE in house, another guy with decades of experience, and 2 or 3 TAC cases over 15 years, the partner deserved some trust.

Now  I know Michael and Tim's issue can be resolved to a degree with CLI,  but since I have endevoured on all accounts to avoid reverting back to  CLI I never persued it, thinking that Cisco would have resolved this  months ago (Yes it has been happening for a long time now guys???).

If  the issues progresses to a point where it puts you in jeopardy with  your client, or it creates a hardship for your business, PM me and I  will set the time aside to assist you with getting this to work, I can  make sure it is CCA compliant so it at least will not break CCA,  but I reiterate my comments above, please keep bashing on Cisco's door  and force them (If you will) to resolve the issue and not sit idle on  it.

That is, of course where I agree 100%. When I joined Cisco in 1996, I did not just because they were the leader in what they were doing, but also because they showed they cared fixing their bugs and publicly showin them - beside documenting the product to the best of their abilities (most of the time). To this day, I yet have to see another I.T. company that does the same.

But, the entire process of Software Quality must also be customer driven, and cannot be put in motions if people sits on their bugs because they don't want to spend $150 for smartner contract, or simple laziness.

Why low rating a post that reflects the effort of the author to find why something doesn't work? My rating, a "5"".