cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Speed Dial Issue on SPA525G (7.4.7)

ryan-glenn
Level 1
Level 1

We have an issue with the Speed Dial on SPA525G firmware 7.4.7. What’s happening is that when we add a Speed Dial using phone menu and save it, the speed dial is erased every time the phone resyncs the config file. What is left is only the name of that Speed Dial. We have this issue before on SPA9x2 and was fixed using the parameters below. I tried using these parameters on SPA525G and it does not work.

Parameters for SPA9x2 so that user supplied Speed Dial won’t be erased on config file resync:

<Speed_Dial_2 ua="rw"/>

<Speed_Dial_3 ua="rw"/>

<Speed_Dial_4 ua="rw"/>

<Speed_Dial_5 ua="rw"/>

<Speed_Dial_6 ua="rw"/>

<Speed_Dial_7 ua="rw"/>

<Speed_Dial_8 ua="rw"/>

<Speed_Dial_9 ua="rw"/>

I checked myciscocommunity and found this:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/message/44031;jsessionid=A746E065A04CB7F49AB4EF2849649EB8.node0#44031

<Speed_Dial_2 ua="rw"></Speed_Dial_2>

<Speed_Dial_3 ua="rw"></Speed_Dial_3>

<Speed_Dial_4 ua="rw"></Speed_Dial_4>

<Speed_Dial_5 ua="rw"></Speed_Dial_5>

<Speed_Dial_6 ua="rw"></Speed_Dial_6>

<Speed_Dial_7 ua="rw"></Speed_Dial_7>

<Speed_Dial_8 ua="rw"></Speed_Dial_8>

<Speed_Dial_9 ua="rw"></Speed_Dial_9>

I tried this parameters and it’s not working too. It looks like a bug.

11 Replies 11

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dear Ryan-Glenn;

It looks like the config file you are using is overwritting the Speed dials. Please remove the lines (dont leave them empty) from the config file

Regards
Alberto

Hi Alberto,

We don't like the config file to overwrite the speed dial settings. What we want to achieve is that we can configure the speed dial from the phone menu without affecting it when the phone do a config file resync. The parameters above should do the trick but it does not. I also tried removing that lines and redo the test, result is still the same. It's not happening on other SPA5xx. We are starting to think that it's a bug.

Regards,

Ryan

Does anyone experience the same issue?

The way the XML API works is it allows you to set a parameter to a particular value, or explicitly clear it by including tags with no content.  If you want to leave a parameter unchanged from whatever it is set to currently, then you should not include the corresponding XML tags in the file.  The reason we allow you to set user level parameters such as speeddials is it gives you the ability to implement specific policies such as the support hotline is always on the first speeddial for example.

If this config was working previously on older versions of firmware, then I'd suggest it was probably taking advantage of what would technically be a bug.  The behaviour you have described above looks correct to me.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks. We are thinking that it's a bug on the SPA525G firmware since it's not happening on other SPA50X models. Can you raise this internally? We are so keen to get this issue reslove.

Regards,

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

There *were* bug in this area in older firmware, and I think you were taking advantage of one of them when you were not having problems previously.  The correct behaviour is that if a tag is included in a file and has no value specified, then it should blank out the corresponding entry in the phone config.  Only if the tag is not present at all will that config parameter be left unchanged.  So in the example you gave above, a config file containing the following:

is explicitly designed to blank out speeddials 2 through 9 inclusive.  If you want to leave the speeddials as the user configured them, you need to remove all the tags from the config templates.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I did that already. I removed the tags  from the config template and the result is the same.

Speed dials are erased every time the phone resyncs its config file.

I also tried the paramaters below which works perfectly on SPA50x phones. SPA50x phones does not erase the speed dials every time it resyncs the config using the parameters below. But for SPA525G it does not work.

So for SPA525G with firmware 7.4.7, speed dial is erased even if I remove the tags. Its also erased if there is tags in the config.

Regards,

Ryan

Can you send me a copy of the config file that the phone is downloading?  Either send it to me directly at dharper@cisco.com, or if you have a case open, attach it to the case and email me the case number.  Either will work.

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I just sent you an email of the config files.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ryan

According to provisioning guide you need to add an underscore ("_") to your element names:

Have not tested this but it's worth a try.

Boudewijn

Tested on a SPA525G2 (7.4.7) with single SIP registration on first line...no luck

Gr,

Boudewijn