Views
Helpful
Replies

UC320 W/ SPA504G and Call Waiting

Michael Russo
Level 1
Level 1

Good evening guys,

I'm having a little confusion with 'call waiting' and this system.

So I have 5 phone lines. Two of them are reserved for 2 attorneys, and the other 3 are supposed to route to the front desk.  I have 2 of the numbers going straight to the front desk, but if the lady is on the line and someone calls the number, it doesn't give her a chance to pick it up... It either rings and goes to voicemail, or jumps to another desk.   I have a hunt group setup with AT&T.. The 3 floating numbers are in the hunt group, and the 2 attorney's numbers are NOT in the hunt group.   Am I missing something here?

All I want is for the main front desk to be able to pick up other calls, put calls on hold, and route them where necessary.

Thanks!

9 Replies 9

Michael Russo
Level 1
Level 1

Perhaps removing call waiting from plan? It really isn't necessary with a system like this?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Configuring it in PBX mode and Key System mode would just be leaving it in Blend mode correct?  Or are you insisting I pick one of the 2?

Hi,

Blend mode is the best of both worlds.  Yes, you can certainly use Blend mode. 

Chris

Hi Michael,

The lines from AT&T should not be provisioned with Call Waiting.  We don't support sending a hook flash to the telco and call waiting can cause other undesired effects.

Depending upon how many line buttons are on the phone and how the customer wants the system provisioned you may have a couple of options:

1)  Configure as key system mode, where each FXO is configured as a Shared FXO Line and consumes a line button for each FXO line.  The front desk can then place the current call on hold and press the ringing line button to answer.

2)  Configure as PBX mode but configure the front desk phone with more line appearances.  An extension button can handle up to two calls.  You will need to use the round rocker button to navigate between the two calls using the LCD screen.  You can either increase the number of button appearances of the front office primary extension on the Phone Buttons screen, or you can add Additional Extensions to the Front Desk Phone and then direct the calls to each of the Additional Extensions on the Inbound Routing page.

Hope this helps...

Chris

Chris,

I just completed an install of a UC320 last month and my client is having issues with inbound calling.  They have two FXO ports and both lines ring into a shared extension (x200) that is present on all phones.  If x200 isn't answered, calls roll into an auto-attendant.

Calls into the first FXO line work fine; however, calls into the second FXO line only ring the phone which seized the call on the first line.  Any suggestions for fixing this?  I'm working through this with the SBCS, but my client just e-mailed me and said he spent 90 minutes on the phone with his engineer and had no luck.  Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil,

When the second calls comes in what does the user experience on their phone?  Do they hear call waiting beep, do they see one of their line buttons start flashing?  You would be surprised to see how many problems come in because the FXO was provisioned by the FXO provider to have Call Waiting.  We do not support FXO provider based call waiting.  Do you see both FXO lamps blinking on the UC320W or just one when the second call comes in?

Chris

Chris,

Thank you for the super speedy reply.  (My customer and) I really appreciate it.  Unfortunately I'm not on-site with the customer at the moment as these problems didn't crop up until a couple weeks after I'd finished the deployment so I can't tell you what the FXO ports look like.  I will find out if they notice the lights on their phone flashing though.

As far as I know the customer does NOT have call waiting configured on their lines - just a telco hunt from Line A to Line B.  They DO have service provider voicemail on the lines and I've already had to adjust the Ring-No-Answer timer so inbound calls will be picked up the the UC320 rather than the telco voicemail.

I'll see if I can get more detail around the behavior of their phones when the second inbound call arrives and will let you know.

Thanks,

Phil

Chris,

I just got off the phone with the SBCS and it would appear that I may have misunderstood the capability of shared extensions within the UC320 environment when I did my initial design.  My client has two FXO lines which all route to a shared extension, x200.  Knowing that a shared extension can support a max of two calls I configured each of my client's phones with only a personal extension and a single instance of the shared extension.

Unfortunately,  the SBCS engineer told me that with the UC320, a second inbound call on a shared extension with only one line appearance will only ring the phone that has siezed the first inbound call.  In order to have a second call to that shared extension ring all phones, one would need to have multiple line appearances of the shared extension.

I suppose that's what you explained here (and totally flew over my head)?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3644096

I come from an enterprise telephony (CUCM) background so it's very strange to me that a shared line wouldn't just ring everywhere...

Hi Phil,

If you are using a Shared Extension and you have configured the number of Buttons/Concurrent calls to 2, you should be able to see the second call alerting on all other phones that are not in the talking state -- meaning they will ring and you will see the lamp flash.

If you have at least phones in the office you can can try this to remove the FXOs:

1. SPA phone A calls shared extension (say 200) and is answered by SPA phone B.
  2. SPA phone A places that call on hold and uses the NewCall soft key and makes another call to the shared extension (200).  SPA phone C should hear full ringing and see the lamp flash.  SPA phone B should only see the shared extension lamp blink but not hear ringing.

This is how it works in my lab.  If the calls are coming in on FXO the behavior should be the same.  Do have customer confirm exactly how they know the second call comes into their phone and notifies them of the second call.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: