Views
Helpful
Replies

UC560 Ring Tone Query

saj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Is there a way in which we can change the ringing tone on the phones so that the ring tone from an external incoming call is different to a internal transfer? Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

8 Replies 8

johschaf
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I'm not sure if it is possible to have different ring tones on the same extension for internal and external calls. However, you can configure distinctive rings, which will change the ring cadence depending on if a call is internal or external.

Configuring Ring Tones

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmering.html#wp1012524

Your other option, would be to create 2 extension on the users phone, and have each extension use a different ring tone. Then calls from the outside would go to extension 1, and other users internally would dial extension 2.

Thanks,

-john

Hi John

Distinctive Rings maybe the option. Basically our client wants to know if the call is external or an internal transfer from the ring tone. Can you configure the Distinctive Ring via the CCA?

With kind regards,

This is often asked had youd search before asking.

If you leave the ring tones at default, you will hear - pay attention - that the ring pattern is different for internal and external calls.

No you can't. And these folks that say you can do it through CCA are wrong. In software pack 8.6.1 It must be done through CLI and the process is a bit strange, but I have done it successfully on two UC560's. John Schaffer references the article to follow, however there is a bug that means you will have to set the primary ring tone on just one individual DN and it will change it for all DNs.

The default ring tone that ships with the system does not differentiate between internal and external calls.

And for those that say changing the CLI will invalidate the support contract - "don't ask, don't tell". Adding one line to fix distinct ring does not break CCA.

tracy@ky-consultant.com wrote:

The default ring tone that ships with the system does not differentiate between internal and external calls.

As mentioned above. I have installed hundreds of CMEs and UC500s, and the default ring pattern is different between internal and external. Then again, if one wants different ringtones, that's another story.

Not on 8.6.1 on the three UC560's I've installed in the past 8 months. The default setting does not differentiate between internal and external calls. They all do now and the fix was a bit ugly, implying there is an issue in this software release.

What was the fix ?

In the past year I have installed 2 UC540's, and 3 UC560's, all running 8.6.1. No distinct ring on any of them.

Here is the fix pulled from my knowledgebase: (i did restart my UC560 after doing this and distinctive ring still works)

How to setup internal rings as one long, and external as short-double: (CLI only!)

#Set the external ring tone:

config t

voice register global

external-ring bellcore-dr1

end

#Now, go to any (and I mean ANY) user extension DN:

config t

ephone-dn

ring internal primary

end

#Now, on this one extension, all incoming internal and external calls should be one long ring. Test it. Now remove the line:

config t

ephone-dn

no ring

end

wr mem

#With the blessings of the Cisco gods, all internal rings on ALL extensions will be one long ring, and external calls will be double rings.