cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using existing router for data vlan on UC520

justinsanders
Level 1
Level 1

I've just set up a UC520 using CCA telephony wizard. It is connected to an HP procurve switch for access ports. We already have an existing router and want it to continue routing for the data network. The UC520 is providing the routing and DHCP for the phone vlan. Due to vlan conflict with vlan 100 already existing, I've created two new vlans for the voice and data and removed vlan100 (vlan1 is still there).  CCA created two BVI's for these vlans.

The phones are all registering and call processing without issue (connected through ports configured on the HP switch). But I am unable to manage the UC520 via the new data vlan (can only connect to it via vlan 1 on the direct attached UC520 ports). In fact I am unable to ping the gateway from the UC520. I configured the BVI with an IP address of 10.20.1.30 and the existing gateway should be 10.20.1.10. Through the smartport configuration the expansion port is configured as a trunk and both vlans have been added to the procurve switchport.

Maybe I am approaching this in the wrong way. I just want to be able to connect from my PC at 10.20.1.41 via CCA to 10.20.1.30 . If anyone can explain what to do in CCA or via CLI it would be greatly appreciated.

PS.. I've also tried to just create a vlan interface(rather than the BVI) and assigning an ip address to that. This still did not work either. I've also tried adding a default route statement 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.20.1.10 which also did not work. It didn't even populate into the routing table. Which may have been because it showed line protocal down on the vlan 11 (management) interface.

3 Replies 3

janickle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Justin,

With the UC520 on your existing network you should be able to change the IP address of VLAN 1 to match the existing data network which it sounds like you have already accomplished.

So if the old router is at 10.20.1.10 and the UC is at 10.20.1.30 they should be able to talk unless there is a configuration issue on the switch or the UC.  I would check the switch to make sure that its PVID or default VLAN is 1 and that it is not tagging this traffic.  On the UC configure the smart-port connected to the HP as a switch port.  Also on the UC make sure its native VLAN is also 1.  From there everything should work correctly.

Also just to be safe on your primary router you should point some static routes to the UC520 for the new networks such as the Voice VLAN and the CUE module.

Thank you,

Jason Nickle

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Justin,

As Jason has pointed out, you should be able to make VLAN-1 part of your network and in CCA turn of DHCP on that VLAN so it does not conflict with your existing router, this way the UC is then integrated into the network instead of having to create VLAN's to segment it from the network.

Also you can change the Voice VLAN to something else (Make sure that this VLAN is configured on the Procurves) so that way it isn't conflicting. There is no need to create multiple VLAN's as BVI's will get created for each VLAN you do, and Inter-VLAN-Routing will be turned on.

This is a quick fix and I am sure you can manage this quite simply, but you will need to do this after hours as the network may intermittently go down whilst you are making the adjustments.

Cheers,

David Trad.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

The problem is, we don't want to use vlan 1. The data network is sitting at vlan 101. Just like with the voice, I created this vlan, the bvi was configured with ip address 10.20.1.30. But on this vlan I cannot ping from the UC520 to the gateway at 10.20.1.10. Is there something else I need to configure on the UC520 to allow management from this new vlan?

Thanks for your help