cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect Client (3.1.02040) - Windows 8 won't shut down

cpremo
Level 1
Level 1

I've noticed and issue with Windows 8 and AnyConnect Client version 3.1.02040.  I've tried various things to try to resolve this issue but have hit a brick wall.  Whenever, I run AnyConnect on my Windows 8 PC and then shut it down for the day, the PC won't turn off.  I've ensured my AnyConnect client is disconnected and then quit the application and even killed the VPN service.

Has anyone else seen this issue???   Any resolution???

72 Replies 72

I tried by disabling my Norton 360 firewall and virus protection.  No luck, still the same issue.  Won't reboot or shutdown.

I dud find this on the WEB.  Tried it without success.

Fortunately, there is an easy registry edit that has been found to frequently resolve this error:

1.Go to the Windows 8 Start Screen by pressing the Windows key.
2.Type regedit to initiate an application search, then press Enter to launch regedit.
3.Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\vpnva
4.Locate the key DisplayName.
5.Right-click this key and select Modify.
6.In the value data field, erase everything and replace it with Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x64 ?If you are running a 32-bit system, perform the same steps, but instead replace the entry with Cisco AnyConnect VPN Virtual Miniport Adapter for Windows x86

7.Restart the Cisco AnyConnect client. The issue should now be resolved.

Old Value:  Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Agent

Thanks for the reply cpremo. Tried it just now. Didn't help me either. Cisco any comments on this one?

cpremo,

I just did a fresh install of W8 x64 with nothing else on it. I fully updated it and then installed AnyConnect 3.1.02040. The same behavior appears. It is something wrong with AnyConnect I am sure of it now. I can provide DART logs if someone from Cisco is willing to check it out.

Alex.

Can you reproduce this error also with a virtual Win8? If yes I'll try with a virtual Win8 on Virtualbox and open a case @ TAC.

Michael Please rate all helpful posts

I am sure that it will work ok on a virtual machine. I am pretty sure that it conflicts with some driver from Microsoft that is specific to my computer otherwise Cisco would fixed it by now. Maybe a chipset incompatibility or something. Anyway it is pretty important to note that with a fresh W8 on this machine it wont work. I cannot open a TAC case because I dont have a contract for this particular ASA.

Some one suggested this in an offline E-Mail:

cpremo try this:

• Right click on My Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services> Select the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Agent.

• Right click Properties, then log on and select Allow service to interact with the desktop.

I tried it without any success.  Still won't shut down.  I've even had a couple of DSOD due to this issue.

HI,

I have done all suggestions bellow and it did not work.

I tried to reinstall Anyconnect from our web portal but I was not able to reinstall it: the installation tried to connect and did not succed to do so.

Then, I decided to completely remove Anyconnect from my computer , then reboot, then install a fresh one (still version 3.1.02040) and .... everything is working now.

I do not know why but it works, at least till now.

Hope you solve also your issues.

Best

Thanks Herve!!!

Removed AnyConnect  & Cisco WebEx

Rebooted!!!! 

Re-installed AnyConnect

Now I can shut down the VPN connection and I can shutdown/sleep windows without crashing.

Eric Labashosky wrote:

Thanks Herve!!!

Removed AnyConnect  & Cisco WebEx

Rebooted!!!! 

Re-installed AnyConnect

Now I can shut down the VPN connection and I can shutdown/sleep windows without crashing.

Tried this but for me it didn't help. Same behavior.

We see similar problems here:

- long time to disconnect, about 40 secs.

- users reported bluescreens during shutdown

Workaround:

We rolled back our production environment to 3.0.10057 which seemed to work.

Testing 3.1.02040 om an VM with Windows 8 showed no issues.

As we are running a dual stack IPv4/IPv6 network, connecting over a IPv4 only network (WLAN) sometimes seemed to work.

Markus

Seamus_0g
Level 1
Level 1

Same problems with 3.1.02040. Will try to reinstall.

I uninstalled 3.1.02040, restarted, installed 3.1.00495 and no more sleep crashes or shutdown issues.

josh.patton
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue.  When doing a restart/shutdown of the windows 8 box if you are patient you should get a BSOD -

power_driver_state_failure - 0x0000009f

This seems to be a link between the Anyconnect and A/V or maybe other security apps.  I have tried Sophos and Kaspersky.  If either are removed the issue no longer occurs BUT duing my troubleshooting I have had several instances where I didn't have the issue either so I could be off mark.  Same symptoms as eveyone else -

VPN disconnect takes 10 to 30 seconds

VPN will not connect again until after a reboot - accept banner then get "the VPN client driver encountered an error"

Reboot or shutdown windows takes an extended period of time and bug check occurs.

I don't use any third party antivirus and it is the same. I don't think is A/V related!

@josh  I had the exact same symptoms that you described. Right now I'm working without any problems (knock on wood).   Uninstall/reboot/reinstalled worked for me, others have said that didn't fix them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: