cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Indoor vs Outdoor FCC rated APs

thefranmanatt
Level 1
Level 1

So  I am being told 1 or 2 years ago the FCC changed the way APs are  certified.  That the manufactures certs the APs for either indoor or  outdoor.  Can anyone confirm this? 

Does this mean an indoor AP  can NOT be used outdoors?  Or does it mean a professional has to install  it to meet the FCC outdoor rules (power and channels)?

thanks

CCNP - Wireless
CWNE #136
5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It pretty simple. You just need to make sure you do not exceed the FCC reg for outdoor. And keep in mind that UNII2 ,UNII2E has different power standards than UNII3.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I am guessing the samething but have you every heard of the indoor/outdoor FCC rating before?

Yes. These ratings are to allow indoor use of 5 ghz and outdoor use. The outdoor rating allows for more power.

Going off memory
Unii 3 is 1000 mw while 80211 states 800mw

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Going off memory

Oh boy, George.  I think you need to spend more time with your "Betsy". 

Welcome back Leo!

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."