Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC Software Version upgrade problem

khaled masri
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Expert,

kindly i have a WLC with Software Version 8.0.121.0 and access points with software version: 8.0.121.0 running on the WLC.

recently we bought licenses to be added to the WLC to add more access points, but couldn’t add the access points because of differentiation between the new Access points and WLC software version.

WLC Software Version 8.0.121.0

old access points software version: 8.0.121.0

new access points software version: 8.1.131.0

if i upgrade the WLC Software Version from 8.0.121.0 to 8.1.131.0 to run the new AP will the old AP that have software version: 8.0.121.0 stop running ???

What is the recommendation.

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- That depends on the AP-models and their compatibility with the intended WLC-software ; google on CISCO wireless compatibility matrix to get the needed infos.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
If possible, skip 8.1 and directly go for 8.2.xxx, if your APs support it. Please check the upgrade paths.

khaled masri
Level 1
Level 1
Kindly note,
my old Access Point is AIR-CAP1602I-E-K9 with software version: 8.0.121.0
and my new Access Point is AIR-AP1832I-E-K9 with software version: 8.1.131.0

- Once again , controller based AP always load software from the controller, regardless of current version running.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Please review the WLC matrix that was posted. You need to keep that handy as that will tell you what is compatible with what code. This will prevent you from buying hardware where you end up in a situation that you are forced to upgrade or your existing equipment is no longer supported.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card