cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

need a replacement for wap150

ciro_r
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've posted a message in the wireless forum and I've been suggested to ask here

This was my original message

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/need-to-replace-wap150-in-a-simple-configuration/m-p/4550630#M238336

I'm looking for a replacement for the WAP 150 Access point. I've tested the Cisco Business 140AC but it doesn't seem the right device for me

My requisites are

1. my network is made of a PC, the AP and a wireless client

2. all the three devices should have static IP addresses and there is no dhcp server in the network

3. it should be possible to access the AP configuration web interface from the PC using the wired connection

4. the boot time of the AP should be fast

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

11 Replies 11

CoreyP319
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ciro,

CBW is capable of all of that, boot times are relative with CBW's at around 4 minutes. Not sure if that's out of spec for you.

Have a great weekend!

Corey 

Dear Corey,

Are you really sure? I'm testing the CBW140 and I see that, even if configured with a static IP, it doesn't complete the boot if there isn't a dhcp server in the network. I've found this also stated somewhere in the administration manual. When I connect it to a network with a dhcp server it works but it is not possible to connect to the web configuration page on the wired Lan but only from the wifi network and this also is not suitable for me.

Hi Ciro,

You are correct, my apologies. You'll need a router or switch capable of DHCP as a part of the network. How are you accessing the internet from the previous network if there is no router or L3 switch?

Thanks,

Corey

HI Corey,

I don't want to access the Internet from the wifi network because this configuration is used to connect a wifi sensor to a pc in a medical device. The more it is isolated from the outer world the better. I just need a fast and reliable wifi connection between the pc and one or two clients and a fast boot time because the device is supposed to be switched off and on often. Wap 150 was not perfect for the boot time but it was OK for all the rest. Unfortunately it is now out of production

Hi Ciro,

Thanks for the added info, I don't usually see any non-internet facing setups. After digging in a little bit I have some additional information that may help.

DHCP is required for initial setup of the AP, afterward you may assign a static address, but if you ever needed to add a new device, you'd have to connect to a DHCP server again, which doesn't sound like an issue for your topology.

• DHCP services are required to set up CBW, even if the intent is to use static addressing.
  • During initial setup, a static IP address can be chosen for CBW management. However, that setting only applies to the management IP address, and each access point/mesh extender, including the primary AP, requires a separate IP address for its access point functionality.
    • IP address: dynamic during setup but can be changed to static later (but note that this does not eliminate the DHCP server requirement when adding new CBW devices; see below).

Resolution

• Make sure a DHCP server is present to provide IP addresses for CBW devices.
  • Note: Even if all CBW addresses are configured as static, adding a new AP or mesh extender still requires a DHCP server for the initial installation of the new device, even if the customer plans to change it to a static address later.

Also, keep in mind the bootup time may be past your required interval. Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Have a great day, Ciro!

Corey

Dear Corey,

I think CBW is not the right device for me. I've been suggested to try the Meraki Go GR10. I will see if it can better satisfy my requirements. I am a little surprised the simple features I need are not available in the CBW access point. This is clearly by design and I don't understand  why Cisco decided to renounce to this kind of applications. I can imagine many industrial applications where wifi devices need to communicate with each others in a closed network. Thank you very much for your help

Ciro

hey Ciro,

I'm sorry this CBW product is not a good fit for your need. I can confirm we have a Wifi 6 CBW product coming out this year that uses a bit of a different stack. That said, we don't have many samples for the team yet so exact functionality is not able to be confirmed. Cisco is transitioning in many ways including product portfolios and the markets those products address. In the future you should begin to see a more unified approach. 

Have a great week!

Corey

Hello Ciro.

Did you find a right solution about your implementation?

I'm facing a similar situation like you, I mean, about no requiring DHCP and the issue with same AP, but I haven't found a solution though.

If you achieved your goal, I'd like to know how you solve it.

Regards. 

Dear edgofed,
unfortunately I didn't find a suitable Cisco solution. I'm now using TP LINK EAP615-Wall

Ciro

The CBW APs only require a DHCP server for initial setup. After that, you can configure static IP addresses. Be aware that you have to configure two static IP addresses: One for the AP and one for the embedded controller ("primary AP"). If you only configure one address and don't have a DHCP server, the system won't work.

Dear Maurice_,
thank you but in my use case it is important to perform the initial setup without DHCP
Ciro