cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

wap 200 clients cannot talk to each other and connection intermittent lags.

mchattopadhyay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have three wap 200 deployed with single ssid. But it seems like clients in AP A, cannot ping to client in AP B, Is it some kind of weird security feature. So forget roaming which is opposed to the datasheet ??

Moreover, the connections suffer from intermittent lags at times. On a ssh screen, to my server it would certainly stop, and again take in typing after 30 secs or so at times.

While on wireless, I cannot access all the access points on the web interface. It says unauthorized. I would be able to open any random one only at a time. Whereas if I am on wired LAN, I can access all the three at a time on three browser tabs. Kindda strange.

The access points are on the latest 2.04 firmware. Any takers for this ?

8 Replies 8

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi MR, it may be possible on the security setting of the AP you have a wireless isolation enabled. Remove wireless isolation between ssid and within ssid. Also, by default you cannot adminster the AP via wireless. On the Admin -> Management tab there is an option to allow Wireless Web Access.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

Appreciate you time for the reply. Yes the web management access was off. So I enabled it now. Hopefully this will solve my second problem. But for the major one, I dont have isolation enabled, neither within ssid nor within ssids.

Hi MR, try to download a wireless analyzer. A free one from MetaGeek is called INSSIDER.

http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

Check to see if the RSSI is  70+

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

We are facing same problem of client isolation, I downloaded INSSIDER application and found that RSSI value of SSID we are using is -47, could you please recommend a solution.

Hussein Ismail

Thanks

Regards

Hi Hussein, if the RSSI is -47 that is really solid. It would indicate a good single strength and likely minimal interference.

How is your problem the same? Do you mean Wireless Client A cannot ping Wireless client B? Or something like Wired Client A cannot ping Wireless Client B? Can Wired Client A ping Wired Client B?

Or do you experience lags, intermittent connectivity issues, etc?

-Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks you for your reply, Our problem is wireless client A cannot ping wireless client B (A and B are connected to same access point and same SSID), and wireless client A cannot ping wireless client B (A and B are connected to same SSID but different Access points).

In all Access Points, we disabled both of Wireless Isolation (between SSID) and (within SSID).

Hussein

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

One thing to look at when your clients can't ping each other is the Windows Firewall.  It blocks pings by default.  You can either create a rule to let the ICMP echo through, or just diasble the Windows Firewall to test.

Are all of the APs on the same subnet?  If they are in different subnets you also need to check the router and make sure it has Inter-VLAN routing enabled.  You can also check to see if there are any access lists blocking the wireless users.

Let me know if that helps any,

Christopher Ebert

----

Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

Hi Christopher,

We have a policy that disable firewall on all connected PC's to the corprate network, wired clients can communicate to each othrt and to wireless clients in addition to wireless clients can communicate to wired clients, but the problem is wireless clients can not communicate to each other.

Regards

Hussein