cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP321 Auto assign channels (Single Point)

Michiel Beenen
Level 3
Level 3

Hello there,

I have 2x WAP321 (each about 50ft away from eachother) and have enabled the Signle Point Setup so I can see both there now).

Now i also see the option of automatically assigning channels under channel management for the whole cluster (both xs points).

This sounds like an interesting and cool idea but my question is, when it does change channel, wont that automatically disconnect all connected Wireless clients to the AP? Cause we have wireless speakers and other devices that should stay connected as long as possible.

Does anyone know?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

You are correct. With Auto Channel any time that the WAP's change channels, there will be a disconnect of the devices when switching channels. I normally always recommend that the customer does not use auto channel

Auto channel works best in a network that does not have a lot of signal noise around. In a crowd signal area if those signals are on auto and yours are on auto. your device would spend more time jumping around looking for a clear signal, than providing a signal for you to use.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Michiel Beenen
Level 3
Level 3

Anyone?

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

You are correct. With Auto Channel any time that the WAP's change channels, there will be a disconnect of the devices when switching channels. I normally always recommend that the customer does not use auto channel

Auto channel works best in a network that does not have a lot of signal noise around. In a crowd signal area if those signals are on auto and yours are on auto. your device would spend more time jumping around looking for a clear signal, than providing a signal for you to use.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.