Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP371 Slooooow

Hello,

I just got an WAP371 yesterday. I am using the SB-PWR-INJ2 to power it over PoE. I updated the firmware to the latest version 1.0.1.5. I am experiencing terribly slow performance with the device. It is supposed to be replacing a N450 access point. With the N450 AP I have no troubles getting about 20MBps (160mbps) over wireless when in line-of-sight of the AP. With this new AP, even though the signal is strong, the RSSI is good and the transmit rate is good, I am experiancing horribly slow connectivity rates. On AC wireless connected to a MacBook Air I have not passed 25mbps (3.1MBps) even thought the Air is connecting to the AP just fine with acceptable levels. What gives here? I was expecting at least  50% increase in performance with AC clients, not a 80% decrease! 

Any ideas what to do?

Screen shot is attached. 

70 Replies 70

Just reverted back to the beta firmware. This new firmware really breaks up stuff. Performance (with vlans) was even worse than 1.0.1.5. Well that was worth the 4 months (!?!?!?!) of waiting.... I will wait until the firmware release notes will be available but, if that doesn't show a solution, I'm done.

Release notes are available now here.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/wap371/release_notes/WAP371_Frame_1_1_2_x.pdf

New version (1.1.2.3) appears to make things worse. Some devices can no longer connect at all tot he tagged vlan. Untagged vlan network appears to function wonderfully. This needs to be addressed much more aggressively and fixed!

And I quote: "At this point we have a working fix. Not being in that department, but having done Mainframe coding in a prior job. I can only surmise that they are now trying to avoid bringing something to market too fast, as you stated earlier."

Well they did succeed in not bringing this firmware onto the market too fast.... For all the rest, it took 4 months of waiting for a new firmware which makes this product even more UNUSABLE than it allready was. Performance testing with tagged vlans took me 15 minutes (including the upgrade of 2 WAP371 devices). I did not had to startup Wireshark to know that this firmware was even worse than the previous non-beta release. Has the quality testing department gone sabatical for half a year?

Turning off the 5Ghz radio made me beable to use a tagged VLAN on the last public firmware, defeats the purpose of WAP371 tho :(.

Hi,

In my troughput measurement with the Firmware 1.1.2.3 (tools used: JPerf / iperf, tamsoft troughput test & Internet speedtest.net) the throughput of tagged vlan shows about the same as with the Beta Firmware 9.19.8.16 in my environment.

But with UDP stream tests (specially with the Testtool tamsoft troughput) there are some disconnection during tests in the 5 GHz band (802.11ac). For the Power I use the Cisco Air-PWRINJ14 or the PowerDsine 3501G. This disconnections dont occur with the Beta Firmware 9.19.8.16 under same conditions.

I think I'll stay for the time being on the Beta Version 9.19.8.16, or someone has a WAP371 productive with the latest Firmware (without Issues)?

In the Beta Firmware 9.19.8.16 I have also Telnet (SSH) access to the Access Point. Why is this in the new Firmware no longer permits?

Regards Thomas

kevin_guwen
Level 1
Level 1

any updates now?

The latest firmware is still in beta. Please call in and open a case with the Support Center.

Eric Moyers

Hi Eric

it's been month again... i don't see the newer version being released... and according to the other posts, it's only a slight improvement... i just don't know when i can tell my client to upgrade the OS and what's the new approach to achieve their requirement...

Thanks

Hi Eric,

Here we are facing the exact same problem. As we are using multiple VLAN's with multiple SSID's, this is driving me crazy. I already upgraded our three WAP371's to the latest firmware, 1.1.2.3, but am facing exactly the same issue as with the stock firmware.

Is it possible for me too, to try the beta as stated above? We don't have any support contract with Cisco, but I hope there is a way we can get things working.

Thanks!

Wout

Sorry for the late reply. Yes you can still get the beta without a contract. You just need to call in and open a case with one of the engineers. Once they do some troubleshooting to ensure that you are indeed hitting this issue. They can work with you to see about getting the beta Firmware.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

I opened a case with the Support Center and after a few days with testing I received the beta FW (v. 2.9.4.18) and it has been OK sice. (there has been a couple hangups, but a reboot of the AP resolved it)

Thank you for that information. Much appreciated.

Eric moyers

Is there any update on this matter?  I called support and they are unable to help me because the product is out of warranty.   I just need to know if I need to apply a different firmware and change some settings on the access point to resolve the slowness issue.  Thanks.

My name Eric Moyers. I am an Engineer in the Small Business Support Center.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. What is your serial number? The WAP371's are extremely new. I am surprised that there is one already out of phone support warranty.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.