cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4400N AP - routing issues

scottparkis
Level 1
Level 1
In this network we have a cisco wirelss POE router and three 4400N AP's. All wireless AP's and Router have the same SSID and password. All devices have a static LAN IP address.

My problem is when I joing a new device - specifically a printer - I have no problem joining the wireless network, and I can ping this device from the router. But I cannot ping it from any of the computers -even a computer that is joined to the wireless via the same AP.

It just dawned on me that I did hardcode DNS settings on the AP's - public DNS - same as the router. Could this be the cause? If so, should I be leaving DNS blank on the AP's and let the Gateway handle it. The GW being the router that gets DNS from our ISP. Or put the GW/router 1.1 as the dns on the AP's

Thanks -

SJMP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

scott,

Yes, you can change the DNS on AP to 192.168.1.1, your router will just forward this request to public DNS servers. As of accessing the AP via wireless this is a security feature that is enabled by default so if you would like to access your AP via wireless then enable Wireless access under the administration tab.

Thanks,

Jason

Cisco Support Engineer

.:|:.:|:.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

scottparkis
Level 1
Level 1

Any suggestion/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! SJMP

Scott,

first under the security settings i would make sure you have this settings disabled.

Wireless Isolation (within SSID) = Disabled .... this feature isolates clients within a SSID.

Next i would use your local router or a local DNS server and not public. This really shouldn't matter since your DHCP servers should be giving out a correct internal DNS server.

On a second note; Make sure all AP's are on different wireless channels. Since you are using same SSID and Encryption. You do want the Wireless channels to overlap about 5 to 7 % between each channel.

Thanks,

Jason

Cisco Support Engineer

Thank you Jasbryan

RE: local DNS server - this is a glorified home network so there are no internal servers, just client machines and printers using wireless for internet access. So to confirm I use the router ip 192.168.1.1 (also the GW) as the local DNS server for the LAN settings on each AP device?

Another thing I forgot to mention is I cannot access the AP I am connected to on wireless. Have to connect via the cat5 directly to log into the device.

Thanks,

Will also try the other recommendations: Disabled isolation, differentiate channels on each AP.

scott,

Yes, you can change the DNS on AP to 192.168.1.1, your router will just forward this request to public DNS servers. As of accessing the AP via wireless this is a security feature that is enabled by default so if you would like to access your AP via wireless then enable Wireless access under the administration tab.

Thanks,

Jason

Cisco Support Engineer

Thankyou everything is working correctly now. Apprecaite your help.