cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1530 AP Wireless Point to Point speeds low

cshannahan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a few setups like this on our site, all run without issue and the speeds are good.  Basically we have a 1530 on each side using the 5GHZ antenna for the bridge link.  The 2.4 antenna is disabled.  These are standalone APs, not using a controller.

The shot is only 2kms but there are 2 power lines in between the APs.  I'm not sure if they would interfere much with this or not.

When we first put them up, the radios couldn't find each other.  Worked in my lap but not when deployed.  Brought one radio closer in the truck and it found the other AP.  We put it back up and had the same issue.  They only found each other when we selected to the same channel on each side.

Speed tests are terrible, only getting 10MB max on speed tests.  The radios seem to be aligned but I'm still thinking this may be the reason the connection is bad.  The installers do this all the time and we have never had this issue.

I took the security off of the SSID, thinking it might help but it didn't.  Is there anything I can try, any suggestions on why this link isn't running at optimal speeds?  The configuration on these are pretty simple so I'm thinking it's either interference or alignment although we haven't had this problem in the past.

This is the gear we are using.

2 X 3250188 CIS 802.11N LOW PROF O/DOOR-AP EXTL

Mfg#: AIR-CAP1532E-A-K9

2 X 1664483 CISCO 1520 SERIES POWER INJECTOR

Mfg#: AIR-PWRINJ1500-2=

2 X 2978825 CISCO AIRONET 5GHZ 14DBI DIRECTIONAL

Mfg#: AIR-ANT5114P2M-N=

19 Replies 19

Hello George Stefanick,

What optimizations could be done ?

One is the selection of 40 Mhz channel. Any other you can suggest ?

Using WLC 8.2 and RAP-MAP.

My short mental list 

- Make sure the links are properly singed to achieve a solid RSSI

- Make sure is clean LOS between bridges 

- Disable the lower PHY rates 

- Bond channels (40) 

- Test the heck out of it ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks a lot!

Hello Rasika,

I have 2 1532 configurated how BRIDGE, i need to see the signal strengh of this link. The transmitt power is 20 dBm. I put show dot11 ? and show the followings options, but not show "show dot11 associat"

#show dot11 ?
activity-timeout Default/Maximum activity timeout values
antenna-alignment Display recent antenna alignment results
band-select Display band select output
cac Admission Control Statistics
carrier Display recent carrier test results
echo Display echo contexts
eogre-tunnel Display tunnel
lbs Display LBS configuration and status
linktest Display recent linktest results
mac-authen MAC authentication details
offchannel Dot11 RM Offchannel
qos QoS Information
statistics statistics information
traffic-streams Admitted WMM Traffic-Streams
vlan-name Display VLAN name to ID map(s)

Dennis Kline
Level 1
Level 1

Power lines should not be an issue for what you are doing.  I suspect your antennas might be aligned on a side lobe, or possibly a reflection.  You most certainly need clear line-of-sight to achieve a good signal level with adequate fade margin.  If you are attempting to shoot through trees, buildings, or other objects, you will not be happy with the results

.....dennis.kline@yahoo.com...(It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber)
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card