Views
Helpful
Replies

1552E APs not discovered by NCS

Amir Yanny
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am deploying 4 1552E APs on a location. The APs are powered up and they show up on the CDP neig table on my switches. The interfaces facing the APs on the switches are access interfaces tagged with Vlan 3 which is the management Vlan of the APs. Usually, i should see the APs on the NCS. This is not happening. The APs get IP address from Vlan 3 but i can not ping them from the neigh switch.

I tried the following:

- Power reset on the APs.

- Tried changing the Vlan number.

Any thoughts about this? I can provide any output commands to assist.

P.S. The APs are not running in mesh mode.

Thanks,

AY

12 Replies 12

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Did the AP join wlc. If AP on local mode and didn't join WLC then it should respond for ping. If AP on Mesh mode and didn't join wlc then it didn't respond ping by design. ncs can see APs only if they joined to WLC that is added to wcs/ncs.

The APs did not join the WLC. I am trying to make this happen but i am not successfull yet. My intention is NOT to run them in mesh mode.

I guess, how can i get them to join the the WLC? do i need to change any setting on the APs to not operate in mesh mode? can i do the settings remotely?

are wlc and ap on different vlan.

if you're able to ping the wlc from AP vlan then try below command from ap's console.

console-of-ap# test capwap controller ip

or

use mgmt ip as ip helper forwarding udp - 5246,5247.

I don't have Consle access to the APs at the moment. I am trying to fix this issue remotely. I confirm that i can ping the WLC from the APs Vlan. While working with 3502 APs this issue does not appear. Is there something specific on the 1552Es that i need to keep in mind to fix that?

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Wow. 1550 and you aren't running in mesh mode ? That is some expensive aps you have there ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

They are used to provide coverage to a huge shop.

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

verify AP got ip thru cdp.

add the Radio MAC address of AP to WLC's mac filter table.

add ip helper.

(do you've wlc at ap location where you can put the mgmt of wlc same as ap vlan, and later have mobility btw local and actual/targer wlc)

The WLC can not find those MACs. I tried changing the Vlan to the same WLC management Vlan but with no Avail.

APf47f.3575.4860 Gig 5/0/2         134               T    AIR-CAP15 Gig 0

APf47f.3575.5a60 Gig 5/0/6         171               T    AIR-CAP15 Gig 0

APf47f.3575.5a40 Gig 5/0/4         140               T    AIR-CAP15 Gig 0

My apologies, have to add ethernet mac not radio mac.

To Discover the issue i would just use untag vlan 0 and see if AP joint the WLC or not. Its looks like VLAN's issue to me.

If i used untaged Vlan, will the AP grab an IP@? I am asuming not. This will not allow the NCS to see it.. I guess my question to you is will the WLC see it with when it does not have an IP?

ofcourse WLC not going to see it without IP. Sorry i might missed or miss read your question. You said you can't ping AP's from neighbour switch. I am hopping you are using same VLAN on the neighbour switch. If not than link between switches needs to be trunk.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card