cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 APs - 2.4Ghz channels, use somting besides 1,6,11?

wardwolfram
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 Access Points. Much of the readings suggest that one uses channels 1,6 and 11 on the 2.4GHz band.  Since I have 2 AP, could not I use a different combination of non-overlapping channels such as:

3 & 8

5 & 10, etc.

Am I missing something if I do so?

Thanks in advance,

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

The idea of 1, 6 and 11 goes byond avoid co-channel interface (which is 2 AP using the same channel) but distributing APs over 1 or 6 or 11 also avoid  adjacency interference.  Channel overlaps between themselves and this adjacency interference.  is as bad as co-channel interference. To avoid adjacency interference the only option is 1,6 and 11

But, if you can, avoid 2.4 at all.  2.4 became extremelly crowded and will be the worst choice. If you can, stick with 5ghz which is much less crowded.

2.4GHz channels.png

View solution in original post

ammahend
VIP
VIP

You can and it will work, but it would be a very inefficient way of using it, let’s say you put an AP on Chanel 3, now you have exposed yourself from being interfered by interferes on both channel 1 and channel 6, and on 2.4 there are lot of interference. So I would not recommend doing that. 

hope this helps.

-hope this helps-

Rich R
VIP
VIP

But if you must use 2.4 Ghz, and you only have 2 APs, you have 3 channels to choose from so why is that a problem for you?

You could put AP1 on channel 1 and AP2 on channel 11.

Most default to selecting the "least busy" channel on startup.  They do this by listening to all allowed channels for a few seconds on startup and then selecting whichever seems quietest at that moment which is far from fool proof.  If you set them yourself then you are making that choice and decision in advance.

Small anecdote: I've only ever once used channels other than 1,6,11 where the customer's neighbour had hundreds of APs running on 1, 6 and 11 at 90-100% channel utilisation and at high power levels making the 3 non-overlapping channels un-useable - customer devices lost WiFi connection constantly.  (I hate to imagine what level of service the neighbour's users had) By selecting the other channels for their APs we were able to make their service useable despite the slight adjacent channels interference.  That nightmare installation is now long gone though fortunately.

4 Replies 4

Hi

The idea of 1, 6 and 11 goes byond avoid co-channel interface (which is 2 AP using the same channel) but distributing APs over 1 or 6 or 11 also avoid  adjacency interference.  Channel overlaps between themselves and this adjacency interference.  is as bad as co-channel interference. To avoid adjacency interference the only option is 1,6 and 11

But, if you can, avoid 2.4 at all.  2.4 became extremelly crowded and will be the worst choice. If you can, stick with 5ghz which is much less crowded.

2.4GHz channels.png

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@wardwolfram wrote:

I missing something if I do so?

Yes, do not use 2.4 Ghz.

ammahend
VIP
VIP

You can and it will work, but it would be a very inefficient way of using it, let’s say you put an AP on Chanel 3, now you have exposed yourself from being interfered by interferes on both channel 1 and channel 6, and on 2.4 there are lot of interference. So I would not recommend doing that. 

hope this helps.

-hope this helps-

Rich R
VIP
VIP

But if you must use 2.4 Ghz, and you only have 2 APs, you have 3 channels to choose from so why is that a problem for you?

You could put AP1 on channel 1 and AP2 on channel 11.

Most default to selecting the "least busy" channel on startup.  They do this by listening to all allowed channels for a few seconds on startup and then selecting whichever seems quietest at that moment which is far from fool proof.  If you set them yourself then you are making that choice and decision in advance.

Small anecdote: I've only ever once used channels other than 1,6,11 where the customer's neighbour had hundreds of APs running on 1, 6 and 11 at 90-100% channel utilisation and at high power levels making the 3 non-overlapping channels un-useable - customer devices lost WiFi connection constantly.  (I hate to imagine what level of service the neighbour's users had) By selecting the other channels for their APs we were able to make their service useable despite the slight adjacent channels interference.  That nightmare installation is now long gone though fortunately.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card