Views
Helpful
Replies

2500 WLC, attach AP?

mkoch
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

i was checking the documentation on the 2500 WLAN controller... it states "The Power over Ethernet (PoE) ports on the Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller will not support directly attached APs." ... if that is true, what are those PoE ports good for?????

i have a scenario with just two APs (for now) the 2500 would be perfect IF i could plug the APs directly into the WLC... any plans to support that? Or is just an error in the documentation?

Regards,

Michael

49 Replies 49

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the correct update on this (+5 )

And thanks for working towards the documentation adjustment as well

it's always bad, as Michael nicely noted when you have to explain to the customer

or your boss that they need to spend more money $$ due to an error in the docs.

Cheers!

Rob

Hi.

So the real answer is?

Can we use these PoE ports with directly attached AP's or not?

yes but it is UNTESTED and UNSUPPORTED by cisco, so you cannot really use it in any customer network.

Folks,
Can someone please explain how to configure the controller with this PoE port 3 or 4 to somehow work with directly attached AP? I have 3602E AP with a recovery image AP3G2-RCVK9W8-M connected to the controller.

The AP can't join the controller because it doesn't have the IP address:

*Dec  2 07:06:37.991: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have an Ip !!

How will I configure the port 4 to be on the same VLAN as the management interface to receive IP from the DHCP server?

Alternatively I don't mind having the controller issue the IP to the AP. I tried to configure the local DHCP scope on the controller but it doesn't work.

Help please, I'm not going to deploy it to the customer. Just need it in our office for tests and integration with ISE.

If you want to get the ap to join, you need to setup a dhcp scope on the wlc and it must be on the same network as the wlc management.  The ap will get an ip address from the pool and join the wlc as long as everything else is configured correctly.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks, Scott.

It seems that everything else is configured correctly and after I defined and enable the DHCP scope on the controller the AP got the IP but there are more snags.

First, I see this error message on the AP console:

*Dec  2 07:15:40.491: %CAPWAP-3-UNSUPPORTED_WLC_VERSION: Unsupported version 7.0.220.0 on WLC WLC2504

Like I said the AP runs the recovery image:

System image file is "flash:/ap3g2-rcvk9w8-mx.124-23c.JY/ap3g2-rcvk9w8-mx.124-23c.JY"

I see the AP in the statistics with "Not joined" status.

Should I upgrade or downgrade the WLC ?

*Dec  2 07:15:40.491: %CAPWAP-3-UNSUPPORTED_WLC_VERSION: Unsupported version 7.0.220.0 on WLC WLC2504

You need to run 7.2.X firmware in your WLC to support the new 3600.

Should I upgrade or downgrade the WLC ?

Upgrade to 7.2.X

I figured it, thanks, and immediately ran into the other obstacle

I have my Cisco ID profile associated with a valid smartnet contract for 5508 controller. Can't download 7.2 software for 2504

You can use the 5508 code on the 2540... I have done it and it works.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

You can use the 5508 code on the 2540... I have done it and it works.

LOL  +5

Leo... You should of came out to Cisco Live in San Diego! I finally got to meet Steve, George and Blake.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Leo... You should of came out to Cisco Live in San Diego!  I finally got to meet Steve, George and Blake.

Hi Scott,

My employer won't even pay for my last trip to Melbourne (1 hour away by air).

No wonder you four are so quiet this week.  Have an extra drink for me will you? 

Oh we will!

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

I have my Cisco ID profile associated with a valid smartnet contract for 5508 controller.

Found another way ... legitimately too!

Send an email to "ent-dl@cisco.com" and include the following items:

1.  The full "sh inventory" or "sh uid" output;  (If you have more than one, post all of them so that this BU can permanently update your Service Contract.)

2.  The firmware filename;

3.  Your CCO login (very important);

4.  Your Service Contract numbers (all of `em);

NOTE:  I don't know why they have to ask this when you already gave them your CCO login.  Maybe they want to verify.

5.  Company name

Try that.  It worked for me.  They updated the specific service contract.     Response time, however, is awesome:  They emailed me back within one (1) hour!

I believe you can use the 5508 image. I tried it:)

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card