cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2600 Wireless Access Points and 5508 and 8510 WLAN Controllers

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

Should we replace 2600 wireless access points with 2800 series now or wait until the next AP release? Thoughts? 

We currently have a mixed environment 26,27, and 2800 series.  We have the 5508 and 8510 WLAN controllers.  We plan on keeping the WLAN controllers for a few more years.

On the client side, we have a mix of clients including some 802.11g only clients still on the network. Almost all clients are connecting at 802.11n. 

The 2600 wireless access points will work with our WLAN controllers up to the 8.5 code which will be the last train that is supported on them, I believe.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
If you don't have a business requirement, I'd wait.
Maybe switching them to 2800 models, to get a complete 802.11ac coverage might be reason enough though.
Please note, the 8.5 release train is the latest for your 5508 and 8510, so I don't think you should wait for a new generation of APs, as that would probably require a new 8.x release.
I suspect there will come a second generation of AC-Wave2 models (something like 2900 series) first and after those will come the 802.11ax models, which would be a real reason to upgrade the APs. I suspect the 802.11ax models earliest end of 2019, maybe even 2020, but it's just a guess by myself.

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
2600 & 2800 can work on controllers running 8.5.X.X. 2600 won't be allowed to operate in 8.6.X.X and later.
If you want to upgrade the APs, it's best to upgrade both the APs and the controllers.
Usually, Cisco will make some big announcement in January about new wireless models.
In the meantime, plan now and prepare to get into buying the latest one they've got. This will ensure you'll get the right length of the life of the kit you're purchasing.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
If you don't have a business requirement, I'd wait.
Maybe switching them to 2800 models, to get a complete 802.11ac coverage might be reason enough though.
Please note, the 8.5 release train is the latest for your 5508 and 8510, so I don't think you should wait for a new generation of APs, as that would probably require a new 8.x release.
I suspect there will come a second generation of AC-Wave2 models (something like 2900 series) first and after those will come the 802.11ax models, which would be a real reason to upgrade the APs. I suspect the 802.11ax models earliest end of 2019, maybe even 2020, but it's just a guess by myself.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
2600 & 2800 can work on controllers running 8.5.X.X. 2600 won't be allowed to operate in 8.6.X.X and later.
If you want to upgrade the APs, it's best to upgrade both the APs and the controllers.
Usually, Cisco will make some big announcement in January about new wireless models.
In the meantime, plan now and prepare to get into buying the latest one they've got. This will ensure you'll get the right length of the life of the kit you're purchasing.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: