Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 FUS upgrade

dazza007
Level 1
Level 1

I have run sysinfo on our 5508 and get this

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 8.5.171.0
Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.1
Field Recovery Image Version..................... 6.0.182.0
Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.7, Env 1.8, USB console 2.2
OUI File Last Update Time........................ Sun Sep 07 10:44:07 IST 2014

I can see that the FUS upgrade 1.9.0.0.0 does the following 

• Field Recovery Image is upgraded from 7.0.112.21 to 7.6.101.1
  • Bootloader is upgraded to 1.0.20
  • Offline Field Diagnostics is upgraded from 0.9.28 to 0.9.35
  • FPGA Revision version is upgraded to 1.7
  • Environment Controller (MCU) Image version is upgraded to 1.8
  • USB Console Revision version is upgraded to 2.2

The system shows that the last update was in sept 2014, after the jan 2014 release date of 1.9.0.0.0 however the bootloader is at 1.0.1 and field recovery image is at 6.0.182.0 and not 7.6.101.1

We have 2 controllers with the same issue. 

I am keen to upgrade the controller before EOL however this is a concerning issue?

Many Thanks

Darren

3 Replies 3

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I believe you can just do the upgrade. In any case, here is the previous (and if I remember correctly, the first) release notes for the previous FUS:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/fus_rn_1_7_0_0.html

In neither release note they mention anything about a required previous version, so I think you're good to upgrade. Just make sure to do it with console cable and that you take enough time (it takes around 30 minutes). 

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may find the resolving-reply from this thread useful :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/wlc-backup-version-vs-field-recovery-image-version/td-p/1924316

As far as FUS-needs check release notes of the version you want to install , and search for 'FUS' - usually some notes and requirements will appear.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Based on your WLC output, it got an earlier version of FUS version (I believe it is even not FUS 1.7.0.0) based on the following release note info

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/fus_rn_1_7_0_0.html 

You have to do FUS upgrade on these WLCs, pls note that it could take 45-60min for these FUS upgrades, and be patient. Once upgrade to FUS 1.9.0.0 you should see those variable values that match the 1.9.0.0 release notes. Something like below

(WC01) >show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 8.5.160.0
Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.20
Field Recovery Image Version..................... 7.6.101.1
Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.7, Env 1.8, USB console 2.2
OUI File Last Update Time........................ Sun Sep 07 10:44:07 IST 2014

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card