Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 WLC Service Port cannot obtain IP address from dhcp server

EE_36220
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

The 5508 wlc service port is configured to use dhcp instead of static ip address, however, when I connect a notebook with dhcp server software to the service port, it cannot obtain an ip address from the dhcp server.

I tried 'OpenDHCP' and the dhcp server from 'tftp32d' with same problem.

When I connect another notebook computer to the one with dhcp server software installed, it can obtain an ip address.

Therefore, would like to know if there is any setting(s) missed?

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

Did you disable your notebooks local firewall ?

Since it works with another notebook, there is nothing wrong with WLC side of conifgs

HTH

Rasika

Thanks Rasika,

I means another notebook computer can obtain IP address from the notebook with dhcp server software while the 5508 WLC cannot.

Thanks.

What if you statically configure and IP for your service port ?

<WLC> config interface address service-port 192.168.1.200 255.255.255.0

https://mrncciew.com/2013/01/25/backup-restore-wlc-configs/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Yes, configuring static IP address works.

As the captioned WLC is in a production environment, I would like to avoid making changes as much as possible.

Just read from 'Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide - Chapter 4 - Configuraing Ports and Interfaces', it mentioned : To configure the DHCP server: config interface dhcp service-port ip-address-of-primary-dhcp-server[ip-address-of-secondary-dhcp-server].

Not sure apart from enabling the DHCP service for service port via 'config interface dhcp service-port enable, I need to set the dhcp server address with the above command as well.

Thanks.

As long as service port is configured for DHCP, it should work. Below command should be sufficient, no need to specify DHCP server addresses.

config interface dhcp service-port enable

To test it out you can connect service port to a switchport that has enabled for DHCP. In that way you can verify service port configuration.

If it is temp work, then it is easy to configure static on service port, rather you running DHCP server on your laptop. Anyway you have to test it out to find out what's causing issue.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thanks Rasiak,

Looks like configuring static ip address to the service port when required is the current option.

I also found that the 'Standby Hot' unit do not have the 'set' command while the one in 'Active' or 'Maintenance' mode have.

Hello Ew,

Regarding your issue did you test if your DHCP server is recheable from your WLC?

Regards

Hi Jmanzanera,
I think so. I tested it with another notebook computer before putting it o the WLC service port.
Regards.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card