Views
Helpful
Replies

9800 - After upgrade RADIUS interim updates inconsistent delivery

theuserq
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have upgraded my C9800 WLC from 17.6.5 to 17.9.4a successfully. However now I have RADIUS interim update issue.

I have external captive portal - RADIUS SSID configuration which was working fine before. Also RADIUS accounting and interim updates packets are enabled. 

When client connected sometimes there is interim update packets but sometimes not.

Is it about to version or other things?

Thank you in advice

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I would advice to further upgrade to 17.12.3

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Customer use this version so there should be exact reason to ask for it on their side as well

17.12.3 has become an advisory release in contrast to 17.9.4 - A strong business argument for these kind of issues,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Note sure why you would upgrade to 17.9.4a when 17.9.5 has been the recommended 17.9 version since April!
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/214749-tac-recommended-ios-xe-builds-for-wirele.html#toc-hId-230197838
But as Marce says most new development and fixes are in 17.12 now.  When 17.15 is released (soon) it will be a few months later then 17.12 and 17.15 will be the recommended releases and 17.9 will drop off the list.  So deploying 17.9 now, just means you will soon be on a non-recommended release which will not get routine bug fixes and already many bug fixes are only being applied to 17.12 but not 17.9.   From April 2025 17.9 will only get critical security fixes, no routine bug fixes:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-17/ios-xe-17-9-x-eol.html

There have been a lot of interim accounting bugs and fixes recently (so not surprising that things have got broken in that code) but if you're looking for specific justification for 17.12 then you probably want to look at CSCwc15091 which is only applied to 17.10.1 and later releases.  If you still see the issue after upgrading to 17.12 then open a TAC case but at this stage TAC are likely to just recommend an upgrade anyway so that's your other option now - open a TAC case and if TAC do recommend an upgrade then that's your justification.

Always remember to pay close attention to end of life notices and TAC recommended releases (link below) when choosing a version to upgrade to.  Note 17.12.4 was released a few days ago.  It won't become recommended until TAC have seen it running as a stable release for at least 4 weeks but it does have a number of important fixes so consider using that today or be prepared to upgrade from 17.12.3 to 17.12.4 when it becomes the recommended version sometime in the next 2 months.

Go to 

Troubleshooting > packet capture 

Check if WLC send or not packet to radius server 

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card