cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

9800 IOS-XE Controller - Flexconnect and Central Switch on Same SSID

awatson20
Level 4
Level 4

We are migrating from Aire-OS wireless controllers to IOS-XE and we are encountering a configuration issue. On our Aire-OS controller, we have an SSID that services wireless access points configured for Flexconnect and Local(central switching). The AP mode configuration determines if the traffic is centrally switched or locally switched. On the WLAN config, advanced tab in Aire-OS, we have Flexconnect local switching selected. On the IOS-XE 9800 controller, how can achieve the same configuration? Under the Policy profile, if we disable central switching on that WLAN, will access points configured for local mode still centrally switch the traffic? Or do we have to use separate policy profile for Flexconnect and tag that to the WLAN? We want to use the same SSID for both use cases.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jerome BERTHIER
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Not sure to understand your question.

You want to use the same SSID but for some APs to keep it centrally switched on WLC (mode local) then for some APs to have it locally switched (mode FlexConnect). Right ?

So I think you have to use two set of policy policy within two sites tags. As site tags deal with roaming domain for FlexConnect AP, you need one site tag / flexconnect site.

I think you need :

- One WLAN profile for the same SSID

- Two policy profiles : one for central switching the other for local swiching

- Two policy tags : one to bind WLAN with central policy and the other to bind WLAN with local policy

- One Flex profile for vlan locally switched on FlexConnect APs

- Two sites (or more) tags : One for APs centrally switched and the other to bind flexconnect profile with policy tag in the site

As site tags define roaming domains, be aware of that when mapping with APs.

C9800 elements of configuration : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/New-Configuration-Model/b_catalyst-9800-configuration-model/m_elements-of-the-configuration-model.html

Regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jerome BERTHIER
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Not sure to understand your question.

You want to use the same SSID but for some APs to keep it centrally switched on WLC (mode local) then for some APs to have it locally switched (mode FlexConnect). Right ?

So I think you have to use two set of policy policy within two sites tags. As site tags deal with roaming domain for FlexConnect AP, you need one site tag / flexconnect site.

I think you need :

- One WLAN profile for the same SSID

- Two policy profiles : one for central switching the other for local swiching

- Two policy tags : one to bind WLAN with central policy and the other to bind WLAN with local policy

- One Flex profile for vlan locally switched on FlexConnect APs

- Two sites (or more) tags : One for APs centrally switched and the other to bind flexconnect profile with policy tag in the site

As site tags define roaming domains, be aware of that when mapping with APs.

C9800 elements of configuration : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/config-guide/New-Configuration-Model/b_catalyst-9800-configuration-model/m_elements-of-the-configuration-model.html

Regards

This makes sense, and how I currently have it configured.  2 policy profiles configured for each use case(flexconnect and central switching) and then bind them to the different tags/sites.

@awatson20 Good work remember to use WirelessAnalyzer too with the CLI command show tech wireless and feed the output to : Wireless Config Analyzer
                                     Lot's of additional stuff can be learned from it for improvements ! : This is so good

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card