Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9800-L WLC roaming issues

michaelowen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have an issue where when some users are roaming from 1 side of the building to the next they drop off the network and have to forget and reauthenticate. I didn't set this controller up but I can see Fast transition is adaptive enabled. So I started reading up on FT and  it says Auth Key Mgmt should be FT + 802.1x where ours is set up as 802.1x. It also states flexconnect should be enabled and the AP's should all be in the same group. 

I can only see a default Flex profile in WLC configuration but can seem to find anything with AP groups. 

Any ideas?

5 Replies 5

RoadRunner4k
Level 1
Level 1

Does the APs reside in the same "Site tag"  & "Policy Tag "

Hi RoadRunner

Yes both are on the same site and policy tag. I checked on the AP's and they are all set to AP Mode - Local. Most of the documents it states this should be on FlexConnect but when I click the down arrow FlexConnect isn't an option.

assisted roaming.jpg

Looking further into the way this is configured they have only ticked Neighbor list. Should Prediction Optimization and Dual band neighbor list not be ticked?

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have a checkup of the 9800-L  configuration with the CLI command show tech wireless and feed the output into : https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hi marce

This is so good gave me lots to look into. 

Found this going to make the changes and see how it goes. I will let you know.

For best results, it is better to enable dual band support for 11k. This should only be avoided, if single band devices are present on the network. This is part of the WLAN profile

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card