Views
Helpful
Replies

9800-L-C 17.3.5b Session Timeout Timer not running

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco WLAN experts,

we are facing problems on our 9800-L-C-Guest-WLC with around 3000+ users which is blocking

not only DHCP-traffic but complete traffic on one of its interfaces from time to time.

To reduce the number of users on that box, I introduced a Session Timeout of 10h = 36000 sec

besides activating RXSOP on the Foreign-WLCs.

To my surprise, when I check clients on the 9800-L-C-Anchor-WLC I can see the Session Timer marked with "Timer not running".

See attached picture please.

Therefore my question:

Is the Session Timeout not active in case of Guest-WLC-mobility on the Anchor-WLC ?

Is the Session Timeout running on the Foreign-WLC instead ?

How can I check that ?

Thank You in advance

Greetings from Frankonia, the Best and Top of Bavaria

Wini

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Did you configure  Session timeout settings according to : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-8/config-guide/b_wl_17_8_cg/m_wired-guest-access.html#config-session-timeout-profile-policy-cli ,

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Marce1000, thank You for Your reply and pointer to Config-Guide.

I did not configure session Timeout for the involved Profile Polices via command line

config wireless profile policy @BayernWLAN

config wireless policy# guest-lan enable-session-timeout

config wireless policy# session-timeout 1000

I instead used  the shown GUI-page to configure session timeout.

The session timeout is also identical to settings in our 2 5520-Foreign-WLCs and an 9800-80-Foreign-WLC.

Shall I try to use

config wireless policy# session-timeout 36000

Can I control this value in the GUi or it is only part of the CLI and running config ?

Interesting is also, that the Config-Guide You are pointing to is showing same confusing "Timer not Running" output for a Session Timeout value of 1800 seconds.

eventhough it looks like a "Guest Lan".

Guest Lan:
  GLAN Id: 2
  GLAN Name: guestlan_lwa
  Wired VLAN: 312
Wireless LAN Network Name (SSID) : N/A
BSSID : N/A
Connected For : 128 seconds
Protocol : 802.3
Channel : N/A
Client IIF-ID : 0xa0000002
Association Id : 0
Authentication Algorithm : Open System
Session Timeout : 1800 sec (Timer not running)
Session Warning Time : Timer not running

We do not use "Guest LAN" by the way.

Please check and advise

Kind regards

Wini

- I would at least try to configure it according to the manual and or per policy-profile as directed. If CLI-only directives are available then use the CLIU ,  before and after have a  checkup of the controller configuration with  with the CLI command : show  tech   wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer.               Checkout all advisories and or advisories related to session timer settings , 

>Shall I try to use
      config wireless policy# session-timeout 36000

As stated have a go , run WirelessAnalyzer  procedure again for controller-config-checkup

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Marce1000,

thank You for Your tip using the Wireless Analyzer.

I use teraterm to create a log-file and will paste it into Your WirelessAnalyzer.

Will check the outcome soon.

Thank You

Kind regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card