Views
Helpful
Replies

9800-L-C 17.3.5b Session Timeout Timer not running

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco WLAN experts,

we are facing problems on our 9800-L-C-Guest-WLC with around 3000+ users which is blocking

not only DHCP-traffic but complete traffic on one of its interfaces from time to time.

To reduce the number of users on that box, I introduced a Session Timeout of 10h = 36000 sec

besides activating RXSOP on the Foreign-WLCs.

To my surprise, when I check clients on the 9800-L-C-Anchor-WLC I can see the Session Timer marked with "Timer not running".

See attached picture please.

Therefore my question:

Is the Session Timeout not active in case of Guest-WLC-mobility on the Anchor-WLC ?

Is the Session Timeout running on the Foreign-WLC instead ?

How can I check that ?

Thank You in advance

Greetings from Frankonia, the Best and Top of Bavaria

Wini

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Did you configure  Session timeout settings according to : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-8/config-guide/b_wl_17_8_cg/m_wired-guest-access.html#config-session-timeout-profile-policy-cli ,

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Marce1000, thank You for Your reply and pointer to Config-Guide.

I did not configure session Timeout for the involved Profile Polices via command line

config wireless profile policy @BayernWLAN

config wireless policy# guest-lan enable-session-timeout

config wireless policy# session-timeout 1000

I instead used  the shown GUI-page to configure session timeout.

The session timeout is also identical to settings in our 2 5520-Foreign-WLCs and an 9800-80-Foreign-WLC.

Shall I try to use

config wireless policy# session-timeout 36000

Can I control this value in the GUi or it is only part of the CLI and running config ?

Interesting is also, that the Config-Guide You are pointing to is showing same confusing "Timer not Running" output for a Session Timeout value of 1800 seconds.

eventhough it looks like a "Guest Lan".

Guest Lan:
  GLAN Id: 2
  GLAN Name: guestlan_lwa
  Wired VLAN: 312
Wireless LAN Network Name (SSID) : N/A
BSSID : N/A
Connected For : 128 seconds
Protocol : 802.3
Channel : N/A
Client IIF-ID : 0xa0000002
Association Id : 0
Authentication Algorithm : Open System
Session Timeout : 1800 sec (Timer not running)
Session Warning Time : Timer not running

We do not use "Guest LAN" by the way.

Please check and advise

Kind regards

Wini

- I would at least try to configure it according to the manual and or per policy-profile as directed. If CLI-only directives are available then use the CLIU ,  before and after have a  checkup of the controller configuration with  with the CLI command : show  tech   wireless , have the output analyzed by  https://cway.cisco.com/tools/WirelessAnalyzer/  , please note do not use classical show tech-support (short version) , use the command denoted in green for Wireless Analyzer.               Checkout all advisories and or advisories related to session timer settings , 

>Shall I try to use
      config wireless policy# session-timeout 36000

As stated have a go , run WirelessAnalyzer  procedure again for controller-config-checkup

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Gehrig_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Marce1000,

thank You for Your tip using the Wireless Analyzer.

I use teraterm to create a log-file and will paste it into Your WirelessAnalyzer.

Will check the outcome soon.

Thank You

Kind regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: