cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Points and Solarwinds polling/alerting

gilbertrk
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone had any issues with solarwinds and the amount of alerts it puts on AP's?  I have had several alerts for AP's down for more than 15mins.  However on the WLC for uptimes the AP's do not show any issues of that happening.  There should be something in the sho tech logs but that is also not the case.  Is this a bug with legacy AP's by chance?  We have quite a few we are working towards replacing but I need to get these alerts under control:)  Anything I can add polease let me know.  Thank you!

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Depends on how Solarwinds determines the status of the APs , it looks an external problem related on how Solarwinds is configured to do that job (e.g.)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Agreed with @marce1000 this is something you should be raising initially with Solarwinds.  Why does their tool think the APs are down when they aren't?  If it's using SNMP and you can prove the MIB is showing their status down when they're up (for example) that would explain it.  You don't mention what WLC or version of software you're using (?) but if it's AireOS you've got more or less zero chance of that type of bug getting fixed now.  If it's 9800 on a current supported release then you can open a TAC case once you have the evidence (if any). But be warned that Cisco are treating SNMP as a relatively low priority as they try to focus on streaming telemetry for the future.

Practically some simple dampening can be very effective.  For example we don't normally alarm for an AP which appears to be down for less than 10 minutes. (but if router or switch above it goes down then the AP is an impacted component which must be down regardless of time).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card