cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

access points failover withour rebooting the WLC controlers

AHMADJ
Level 1
Level 1

i have two controlers in HA N+1  i want to failover  all the access points from primry to secondy what is the  best method to avoid downtime (i am havinj around 400 access points and arounfd 100 ap gorups)

secondly if i want to change the  ap group WLAN  mapped interface withour rebooting the access point is it acheviable via cli to avoid reboot?

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@AHMADJ wrote:

i want to failover  all the access points from primry to secondy what is the  best method 

Re-configure the primary controller to the 2nd unit.  I always use CLI because it is a lot faster.  If the current configuration is set for WLC 1 as the primary and WLC 2 as the secondary, the system will not allow two same controller details in the primary and secondary.  As a workaround, configure a "dummy" WLC into the secondary detail (will not cause the APs to move or reboot) and then configure the 2nd unit into the primary.  Takes about 15 to 20 seconds for the APs to start moving.  

@AHMADJ wrote:

secondly if i want to change the  ap group WLAN  mapped interface withour rebooting the access point is it acheviable via cli to avoid reboot?

Can be done using SNMP only, otherwise, any other methods will cause the APs to reboot.

thanks for calrification . Can be done using SNMP only, otherwise, any recommended link or video for doing this using cisco prime ?

@AHMADJ wrote:

any recommended link or video for doing this using cisco prime ?

Cisco Prime would not help.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me just add… you need to always be careful wanting to do something without downtime. Any change you make, you should allocate for downtime even though there might not be any downtime or a few seconds of interruption.  Moving aps by changing the HA via the cli is easy, but what happens if the aps don’t move or move and are now not joining either controller. You need to test and come up with your maintenance change window in which you are comfortable reverting or making sure everything is 100%. 

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

yes definitely

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card