cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

advice on concreate walled room with glass door

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

I have several rooms through a corridor with concrete walls and a glass door. Would I need an AP for each one? or 1 ap in the corridor is enough to cover them? im planning on WIFI6 ap

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I have windows here with barely any signal attenuation, then I also have modern windows here (with sun filter) which allow barely any signal through (like 20-40 dBm attenuation).

What I can't measure, but also can cause big issues, signal reflections from the glass.

So if it's just 4 rooms, get one AP, put it in the floor and measure if the signal quality is good enough with closed doors for Teams or Zoom (or whatever you might use for conferencing). Ideally with all four rooms occupied by streaming users. 

In general though, I suggest putting the AP there, where the users need the signal, if possible. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

The answer to this question can only be given by a proper WLAN design. Guessing can work, but will never provide the optimum.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are the glass windows classed as "low E"?

Get a proper wireless site survey done.  

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Like what others mentioned already, you need to have a site survey done to ensure proper design. Keep in mind that hallway placements only are not recommended. Majority of your aps should be in rooms in a typical office environment. Of course this would not be the same for open cubicle space or hybrid spaces.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

it is a simple glass door maybe 1cm-2cm thick, just by you guys experience, would a glass door for a room with concrete walls pass a good signal if the access point is just outside the door?

Some glass is okay and some are not. Take an ap and connect it in the hallway and test yourself. My answer to you would be no... place the AP’s in the rooms. Then you don’t have to worry about being wrong about hallways placements.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have windows here with barely any signal attenuation, then I also have modern windows here (with sun filter) which allow barely any signal through (like 20-40 dBm attenuation).

What I can't measure, but also can cause big issues, signal reflections from the glass.

So if it's just 4 rooms, get one AP, put it in the floor and measure if the signal quality is good enough with closed doors for Teams or Zoom (or whatever you might use for conferencing). Ideally with all four rooms occupied by streaming users. 

In general though, I suggest putting the AP there, where the users need the signal, if possible. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card