Views
Helpful
Replies

Advise on AP lightweight AP image.

koverpeck
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to add some lightweight APs to my virtual wireless controller. My production controller version is 8.5.151.0. However the APs are on version 8.0.121.As per the cisco document below:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn85mr5.html

If I am to upgrade the APs to version 8.5.151 I need to go to release 8.3.X. However I do not have a controller to facilitate this middle upgrade. I have gone to the Cisco software site for the AP image below:

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286256843/type/280775090/release/15.3.3-JF10

However, the naming convention is little confusing. I have console access and plan to manually upgrade the APs via my own tftp server. Which lightweight image do I push to the AP so that it is on the virtual controller version 8.3.X?

Once the AP has an image that works with a controller of 8.3.X they should be able to automatically join my controller that is on 8.5.151.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Couple thing... the controller image upgrade step is just for the controller, unless it does state that your model ap requires that the controler to be on a specific version.  Are you not able to spin up another vWLC so that you can do what you need to do?  What does the ap console show when its trying to join?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The console shows the AP trying to donwload the tar file from the controller. The exclamations go across the screen like it is downloading, then an error pops up and it starts the entire process again.

That sounds like a bunch of eol/eos legacy devices,  back then some did not have suficcient onboard memory to receive the update.  and might need a rommon tftp update.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

If you are going to upgrade the APs manually then just upgrade them to the target version directly (no need for the 2 step upgrade).
BUT the link you mentioned was for 2700 which is almost definitely impacted by the field notice in my signature below so you should first upgrade your WLC to 8.5.182.7.  Then the APs may be able to upgrade by themselves without you needing to do it manually.  I'd need to see the actual AP error log to say if it is that for sure but I reckon it is.

If you want to keep using that old version of code then you'll need to use the date change workaround (earlier than 4 Dec 2022) but I'd recommend upgrade.

For future if there is an error message then state clearly what that error message is - everyone here would have recognised that instantly and given you the correct diagnosis much quicker that way.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card