Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9 manual reset failure: Status light not amber

jimtree1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a problem attempting to manually reset an AP that I am told was bought from new: AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9

The AP boots up connected to Cisco LAN switch with PoE and after a short while it's status light cycles Green Red Amber: Discovery/Join process in progress.

I then attempt the manual reset using the steps from Cisco documentation:

Step 1 - Disconnect power (the power jack for external power or the Ethernet cable for in-line power) from the access point.
Step 2 - Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 3 - Hold the MODE button until the Status LED turns amber (approximately 1 to 2 seconds), and release the button.

The status light does not turn amber. This is my problem.

Instead it flashes green, then blue, and after a short while the AP returns to status light cycling Green Red Amber again.

Attempts to connect to the device via Console cable or GUI have also failed.

Is this simply faulty behavior? I have two of these APs, the same model, and neither can be reset or connected to as described above.

Any assistance appreciated

6 Replies 6

what you trying to achieve?

you want to upgrade the image on these AP? in order to do this you need autonomous image or if you have a wireless controller than they will get register to wireless controller and download the software. you are not clear/not mentinoed what you look here. in order to help you let us know what is the issue.

please do not forget to rate.

Thank you for your reply.

We are trying to register the AP with a Wireless Controller (Cisco 5508).

From a PC connected to the same LAN we can access & configure the Wireless Controller's web GUI.

From that same PC we can not access the AP via telnet, console, ssh or web GUI.

The AP has received an IP address from DHCP though and can be pinged from the PC.

I have attempted manual reset in the hope of gaining console or other access to the AP. Does the behavior I describe in my question suggest what the problem may be?

if you have access to 5508 WLC. than once the AP come up can you see this in WLC GUI. 

to check if the AP is showing up in GUI.

Got to wireless Tab and click on it. this will provide you the list of AP addresses. to narrow down to your interested AP click filter and provide the ip address of your problemetic AP. if your AP does not show up than in this case you have to go Monitor click Statistics and click on AP join.  use the change filter and give it mac address.

this above step will show you what is happening. 

please do not forget to rate.

if you cant see anything when connecting to the AP via console, and you have check the console settings I am saying the AP is faulty.

Also make sure you are running a supported version on the WLC as the 1142s are EOL and the last image they supported was 8.3.x (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html)

if the AP actually is registered to the WLC, you might need to enable telnet and ssh to the AP from the WLC

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

pieterh
VIP
VIP

1-2 seconds is too short!

its more around 20-30 seconds

but..... do you have any WLC on your network?

what version is running, this may not support the 1142 AP anymore?

jimtree1
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for you assistance. Your responses were all helpful.

Holding the mode button on this model of AP for more like 20-30 seconds at power on did show different behaviour from the status light on it.

The AP still could not connect to the WLC. In this case it is because that model of AP is no longer supported by the firmware release 8.5.x on our WLC. Looking at the AP in GUI as Sheraz.Salim's post suggests gave a 'not supported by firmware' message.

In our case, rather than changing the WLC firmware version, it was simpler to purchase a fairly cheap supported AP & use that instead: AIR-AP1815W-E-K9.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card