Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 3802 no longer able to join WLC controller

M Tech
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I am having a weird issue with Catalyst c1000 switch and Aironet3802 APs. This afternoon someone at our workplace brought in three microwaves in a one room and operated them simultaneously. It overloaded the circuits in the room, and as a result circuit breaker switch flipped. In the room we have a network closet with c1000 switch which powers on six 3802 access points. All devices were cut off electricity eventually.

I flipped back the circuit breaker and powered back on the c1000 switch and Aironet 3802. The switch is forwarding, and seem to work without issue. I can access it via telnet/web console and see no errors. Unfortunately, all six APs no longer able to join the WLC controller. Their LED loops on red-green-blue and red-green. If the APs receive below 30watt power then they display the same LED sequence. But, on the switch itself 'sh power inline' and 'show env power' commands show no issues. All APs reported to receive 30w power. I checked the wall outlet with voltage tester and found no problem. 

Please advice me how to solve this. I am stuck... 

Appreciate your help in advance

11 Replies 11

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

Ouch.  So the WLC does not report the AP's knocking on the door.  Can the AP's still reach DNS inorder to find the WLC?

the 3802 has a standard console port so you can capture the boot sequence locally  Wave2 AP's should not be experiencing certificate issues.

docjb0221
Level 1
Level 1
Hello,

1. If you run show cdp neighbor detail, are your APs getting an IP address?
2. Are the APs in the same subnet as the WLC? If not, is option 43 configured correctly on your DHCP scope?
3. Do you see anything in the logs of your WLC showing the APs attempting to join?

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- For completeness you may want to include the used controller model and current software version too,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I would also check the switch port configs the APs are in. I have seen users configure port changes and forget to do a write mem and with the power loss could revert the ports to original config.

M Tech
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I am having a weird issue with Catalyst c1000 switch and Aironet3802 APs. This afternoon someone at our workplace brought in three microwaves in a one room and operated them simultaneously. It overloaded the circuits in the room, and as a result circuit breaker switch flipped. In the room we have a network closet with c1000 switch which powers on six 3802 access points. All devices were cut off electricity eventually.

I flipped back the circuit breaker and powered back on the c1000 switch and Aironet 3802. The switch is forwarding, and seem to work without issue. I can access it via telnet/web console and see no errors. Unfortunately, all six APs no longer able to join the WLC controller. Their LED loops on red-green-blue and red-green. If the APs receive below 30watt power then they display the same LED sequence. But, on the switch itself 'sh power inline' and 'show env power' commands show no issues. All APs reported to receive 30w power. I checked the wall outlet with voltage tester and found no problem. 

Please advice me how to solve this. I am stuck... 

Appreciate your help in advance

Hi

Do you have a "show running-config" bafore the incident so that you can compare with now? It seems to me that the switch lost some configuration during the reload.

Hi Flavio,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I've double triple checked the configs on the ports that connect to the APs and switch configuration. I found no issues. The APs get IP addresses. But don't join WLC controller as if it is receiving low wattage power. 

Have you pulled the AP logs from the console port yet?  sh logging

Does the switch ID the AP's  properly in sh cdp nei or does it report IEEE PD device.or AIR-AP280 Gig 0?

If it s a good return, then one should be able to telnet/ssh into the AP .

I have numerous 1852's that have experienced a bug (don't remember the number) where it fails to decode the WLC image version and reports MWAR 0.0.0.0, rejects the WLC and restarts.  I have not had that issue with 2802's.

@M Tech wrote:
Unfortunately, all six APs no longer able to join the WLC controller. Their LED loops on red-green-blue and red-green.

Are the APs getting valid IP addresses?

M Tech
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

Many thanks for your advice on to troubleshoot the issue. Special thanks to Mr. David Ritter. After inspecting the AP logs, it was identified that the WLC 5508 certification has expired. I did temporary workaround by resetting its system time and disabling AP cert check. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card