cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIROS to 9800 Migration

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Is there any tool available to convert configuration from 5500 WLC to 9800 for migration?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use the GUI to log into the 9800 and then go to Configuration > Services > AireOS Config Translator

NOTE:  Before using the tool, make sure to upgrade the controller firmware first and then import the AireOS config.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use the GUI to log into the 9800 and then go to Configuration > Services > AireOS Config Translator

NOTE:  Before using the tool, make sure to upgrade the controller firmware first and then import the AireOS config.

After using the tool do i need to click "Click here to remove commented configuration" then apply or just apply

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

1. Save the config and take the output of "show run-config startup-commands" from AireOS controller

2. I would recommend using the below tool as the tool embedded in WLC seems to have limitations based on the IOS-XE code it's running

https://cway.cisco.com/wlc-config-converter/

3. Review the unsupported config, Not Applicable Config, Unmap Config on the report generated by the above tool and configure them manually.

My recommendation is don't rely on the converter 100% whatever generated please make sure that you are reviewing them before uploading to the 9800. Specially if you have any posturing or redirection acl's take extra caution.

I will check the above methods and update here.

After file translated I did as below but no config changed

For Catalyst 9800 config migration – Please download the CFG file directly from the tool post conversion and upload the translated .cfg file to “9800 bootflash:”. Then execute: “copy bootflash: running-config>” on your WLC 9800 for config migration.

Once you download upload it to the bootflash: , u can use an usb or tftp etc. 

Once uploaded check the file is there in bootflash by dir:

Then apply to to the running config by copy bootflash: <Config File name in the falsh> running-config, for example 

copy bootflash:Translated_Config.cfg running-config

1: Lines start with prefix '!$' need to be taken care before applying to C9800.
2: Lines start with prefix '!%' have note and sample examples, about feature and steps to follow.
3: Make sure you have shutdown the 802.11a/5ghz and 802.11b/24ghz networks before configuration of
country-code, radio, FRA and DCA intervals.
ap dot11 24ghz shutdown
ap dot11 5ghz shutdown

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My 2 cents is that you better understand the output of the tool to be clear on what did not convert.  You also need to review everything to make sure that "features" that are enabled/disabled are what you also want.  It might be more trouble to get an output just to know that there are a lot of changes you still need to make.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Migration tool translated around 82% of the config. I cannot config the Pre-shared keys, Radius, and Tacacas keys. This tool helped a lot with migration. Thank you all for your reply. I used the way mentioned by Leo. a tool which was available through WLC Gui.

Charlie Grey
Level 1
Level 1

i have uploaded an AireOS config to the C9800 translator.

after checking the translated code, how do i clear the imported config from the C9800 wlc?

i do not want to leave it there for risk someone go click on restore or apply button.

anyone??

Only translated config will apply to your controller and if anything not configured through translation tool need to be configured manually.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card