Views
Helpful
Replies

Airos to Catalyst AP additonal licensing required

Liam S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any one can help me. We currently have a 2 x vWLCs deployed and we'll be migrating to 2x C9800's. We won't be replaceing our existing 2802 APs just yet and I'm just wondering if I'll need to purchase any additipnal licensing to use these APs on the new catalyst 9800?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If 9800 is physical appliance(s) not (yet) , meaning licensing for AP's is currently not enforced , but you will get an out of compliance warning (can be useful if your phasing out older access points) . For virtual 9800 license is needed.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If 9800 is physical appliance(s) not (yet) , meaning licensing for AP's is currently not enforced , but you will get an out of compliance warning (can be useful if your phasing out older access points) . For virtual 9800 license is needed.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Rich R
VIP
VIP

You require a DNA license per AP in your smart account according to Cisco license T&Cs.
As per @marce1000 that's not currently enforced on physical 9800 WLCs (but you will get frequent warnings), while 9800-CL will limit you to 50 APs without licenses.  Running without licenses will put you in breach of Cisco licensing conditions.  You might even have purchased DNA licenses with your APs - check your orders - because Cisco started adding DNA license to orders by default in CCW a few years back.  You can also approach your account manager about getting credit for migrating from your existing licenses to DNA licences.  The original promotion has ended but your account team might have something to offer.

ps. remember the licenses are not fixed to the APs - they transfer to whatever APs are connected to the WLC.  The WLC simply reserves a license for each connected AP.  So whatever you buy can also be used for the new APs when you replace them.  If you buy the licenses now - then when you buy the new APs you can use the DNA license opt-out when ordering the new APs because you will already have licenses for them.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card