cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect inconsistant RSSI

Bruno Dinis
Level 1
Level 1

I have one single location where the users are complaining about wi-fi..

They say Wi-Fi goes up and down, they flip flop between -256dBm (Very Low) and -57 (Excelent)

end devices are mainly DELL laptops managed centrally.

I tried to debug one of the clients and when issuing debug client xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx nothing came out of the output, while AnyConnect was flapping between -256dBm (Very Low) and -57 (Excelent)

while the client showed -256dBm, I tried to issue the cmd netsh wlan show interfaces and the value was -57dBm. (attachec RSSI comparison)

AnyConnect has version 4.9, but 4.7 also happened

Am I missing something?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds like a power saving feature of the Wi-Fi driver on the client. I would first try to upgrade the driver on a client and see if it's better.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds like a power saving feature of the Wi-Fi driver on the client. I would first try to upgrade the driver on a client and see if it's better.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would also say that the OS (Windows) is independent from what AnyConnect shows.  Might be something with AnyConnect especially if the Windows laptops does not show those numbers.  You can also look at other devices and or tools to double check your signal.  Even from the controller, you can look at the RSSI the AP is hearing the device at.  That just seems like something with AnyConnect.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Bruno Dinis
Level 1
Level 1

Much appreciated your help.
I changed the following in the Wireless LAN Card Settings

1. Advanced/Preferred Band (Prefer 5ghz band) 
2. Power Management/ (Do Not) Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

the connection is more stable now!

Great, I suggest also checking for newer Wi-Fi drivers. It sounds like you use an Intel card, those had a lot of security updates the last few months (besides various bugfixes including BSOD).
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card