cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wifi Speed slow on 240AC

andylaight
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All , I am new here and, an amateur home networker not a professional. I have set up a 240AC connected to my Fritz!Box 7430. (Initial set up was very easy). However on my home 300MB connection the best I can get on the 5GHZ channel is 75MB, connection to the Ethernet point is full 300MB. Is there any way I can get the wifi speed increased ? Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Really hard to say.  I have not worked with those types of ap's, but some things that come into mind is, make sure that you are using 40 mhz channels or higher since its at your home.  Make sure your client devices support the channel width as this will determine what rate they will negotiate with the ap at.  Just because you might have an 802.11ac access point, doesn't mean an older device that is only 802.11n will have the same speed.  Also wireless and wired are different and if the device shows connected at 144mbps, you would divide that in half and that would get you the max theoretical throughput.  Look for how to change the channel width and bump that higher.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi, my home router is AC and delivers 295 in the same room as the 240 struggles to 70. I think you are suggesting though i cannot achieve more than 50% of the maximum speed on wifi on the AP? Thanks.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/business-200-series-access-points/smb-01-bus-240ac-ap-ds-cte-en.html says: ● 4x4 Downlink (DL) MU-MIMO with four spatial streams, up to 1733 Mbps
● 802.11ac beamforming
● 20, 40, 80 MHz channels

so based on what Scott is saying you'd expect a maximum throughput around 850 Mbps with a suitable client device and good conditions.

If your client can achieve 295 with the router then it should be able to do the same with the 240AC - so back to what Scott said - you need to check the config on your 240AC - specifically the channel width.  But beware of false positive DFS radar detections when you increase the channel width as per another recent post.

Thanks, yes I also thought it should. I had support look into it but they seemed to think my devices could not connect to ac , which they can. I've actually just sent the unit back for a refund as I couldn't afford the time to keep trying to set it up and get out working. So no idea what was was the actual problem. Thanks for the replies.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card