cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 1832i Failure

jdparsons
Level 1
Level 1

We have seen a very high failure rate for the AIR-AP1832i-B-K9 recently with no known cause. Some displayed a solid amber led and others displayed no led.

After swapping out the AP with a spare, the spare comes online right away. Some just go down and some have the below error. For the latter we have used TDR  (sample below). Again though when we put a different AP in its place it comes up.

We have also tried plugging it directly into the switch and on a different port.

Any ideas? Are these APs just borked?

Also, does the Cisco lifetime warranty cover this? This part of the restrictions is a bit confusing "Cisco Systems, Inc., or the Cisco Systems, Inc. subsidiary selling the Product ("Cisco") warrants that commencing from the date of shipment to Customer (and in case of resale by a Cisco reseller, commencing not more than ninety (90) days after original shipment by Cisco), and continuing for a period of the longer of (a) ninety (90) days or (b) as otherwise set forth at https://www.cisco.com/go/warranty, the Hardware will be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use." Is it lifetime or 90 days from shipment?

Thank you for any support/answers in advance!

%ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi1/0/29: Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

Interface Speed Local pair Pair length        Remote pair Pair status
--------- ----- ---------- ------------------ ----------- --------------------
Gi1/0/30  auto  Pair A  84  +/- 10 meters N/A  Open 
Pair B  82  +/- 10 meters N/A  Open 
Pair C  82  +/- 10 meters N/A  Open 
Pair D  86  +/- 10 meters N/A  Open 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich R
VIP
VIP

That's right Leo - we RMA at least 20 x 1832 per month due to hardware failure.
Cisco wireless BU is aware but say this is still below expected MTBF so they will not issue a field notice about it and you should continue to replace on failure.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check if the AP(s) get sufficient (POE?) power , also connect to it and just after boot issue the command show logging , watch for anomalies in the logs ,

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you for the response.

I don't think power is the issue especially since when we put a different AP on there it comes up perfectly fine. The power drawn at 15.4 W is pretty standard from my experience it is typically that or 17.9 W. The vast majority don't even have a led light lit up and the solid amber ones just stay that way and don't boot. I've read on some threads that there is a pretty high failure rate for the 1832i. I requested the MTBF from Cisco, after support played musical chairs for awhile. Still waiting on that.

Interface: Gi1/0/30
Inline Power Mode: auto
Operational status: on
Device Detected: yes
Device Type: Ieee PD
IEEE Class: 4
Discovery mechanism used/configured: Unknown
Police: off

Power Allocated
Admin Value: 30.0
Power drawn from the source: 15.4
Power available to the device: 15.4 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RMA the faulty APs while it is possible -- The 1800 are covered under Limited Lifetime Hardware Warranty.

@Rich R has reported that a number of 1800 failures and I suspect the failures are due to the low quality of the components being used.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

That's right Leo - we RMA at least 20 x 1832 per month due to hardware failure.
Cisco wireless BU is aware but say this is still below expected MTBF so they will not issue a field notice about it and you should continue to replace on failure.

cisco-LVC
Level 1
Level 1

we have 38 X 1832i all from 12/2017. Since last month, 4 of them are dead: no more LED, no reaction even when connecting to different POE switches. On the port where the 1832i no longer worked I have connected another identical: immediate response.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card