Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 2702 dropping clients!

Moudar
VIP
VIP

Hi

I am receiving many complains about Teams and Skype being bad under video meetings, that the picture and voice freezes many times. When i check the logs of the AP that the client was connected to i see so many logs as:

#Dropping the auth req recvd in disabled BSSID.... with many MAC addresses which belong to different clients

Another log that comes often is:

%WIDS-6-SIG_ALARM_OFF: Attack is cleared on Sig:Standard Id:9 Channel:52

this logs comes with different channels and syslog numbers.

My envorniment is consist of many 2702 and 2802 AP which are at the same area. I dont know if this is the problem. But it is only some of my 2702 APs that have these logs not the 2802s!

My workround was to reboot the APs, some of them came back with the same logs after being rebooted and some not, still talking about 2702 APs.

Any thoughts about this?!

19 Replies 19

I found some 2600 model with the same problem but never 2800!

I have many 1850 i will check them too

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My suggestion is to go onsite and test and replicate the issue.  This way you can run a debug on the client and provide that to TAC.  Some things that can also cause issues is that the older ap's could be in locations that are not meeting the RF requirements for today's app's.  Can you ensure that your have -67dBm with an SNR of at least 25 dB from all locations or from locations where you are able to replicate?  Compare the ap layout from the areas or where the older ap's are vs the newer ap's.  Then after you are able to replicate, then look at the device and make sure the wireless profiles are correct and the nic drivers are up to date.  If you can replicate the issue and also not replicate with another device, then that tells you something.  The issue can be with a specific device, NIC, firmware, GPO wireless policy, etc.  You need to start eliminating variables in order to resolve the issue.  Rebooting the AP to fix the issue can be an issue with the code running on the controller also, or the ap going bad.  Swap a 2702 with another 2702 you have as a spare or in another location and see if the problem follows the ap or not.  That can help determine if maybe there is an issue with a specific ap or AP's.  Looking at ap log's should not be your first priority, it should be understanding what the users are seeing, by being there and replicating it.  Then you can use the debugs and the logs to try to correlate what might be the issue.  With Windows, you can also run a netsh show wlan reports and that can provide you with details if the device is roaming, switching to a different SSID, resetting due to a failure, etc.  You can also adjust the time it collects the data.

Analyze the wireless network report (microsoft.com)

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Why RSSI should be -67 and SNR should be 25 ? or better of course!

Is there any documentation that says these numbers?

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Take a look at https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/access-points/enterprise-best-practices-ios-ipados-wp.html

It's focused on Apple devices but also a good general guideline.  It says:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/access-points/enterprise-best-practices-ios-ipados-wp.html#iOSiPadOSandmacOSdevicesonCiscoWLANbestpracticessummary

"Cisco always recommends that Apple devices observe a minimum of two APs with an RSSI measurement of -67 dBm or better. Mac computers can also perform optimally when observing a minimum of two APs with an RSSI measurement of -72 dBm or better."

and

" A minimum SNR of 25 dB."

Unfortunately, we have very limited usage of Apple devices. We use only Ipads in our schools and these are not used for Teams meetings.

What we use is Windows 10,11 and Android devices, maybe they share the same WLAN best practices with Apple. I will consider these WLAN best practices as a guideline.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card