Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 9166 flashing Red and Green

hpeters34
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently connected a new CW9166i-B access point and it's stuck flashing red & green. It successfully authenticates via ISE, gets and IP address but doesn't show up on the WLC. I can ping the IP from the WLC and ping the WLC from the switch. Based on the LED pattern it means Discovery or join process in progress.  I'm fairly new to working with WLC's so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

12 Replies 12

I'm assuming the AP and WLC are not on the same network, so you need a way to tell the AP where the WLC is.

1 is to log into the AP and prime it, you may need to google the exact commands.

capwap ap primary-base controller_name controller_ip_address

2 is to do a DHCP option.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/97066-dhcp-option-43-00.html 

3 is a DNS cisco-capwap-controller.<domain> put into your DNS server the AP points at.

Thanks for the prompt response. I was out of the office yesterday so my apologies for just getting back. You are correct the AP & WLC aren't on the same network.  

1. Do you mean log into the gui of the AP?

We have a specific Vlan that we use for priming. 

So you haven't really answered the question - what discovery method are you using for your APs to discover the WLC? (hint you have to use one those methods mentioned)

My apologies. capwap

thanks I'll give it a try. 

I will give this a try when I get back into the office on Monday

eglinsky2012
Level 4
Level 4

Is the WLC running supported software? The 9166 requires a newer release train. 17.9.3 is best now.

Other than that, besides the other suggestions, what does the console output on the AP say?

yes that's the version of the WLC

Save the *complete* console log of the AP from power-on and attach here as a .txt file.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Further to the above suggestions:
Do you have any other APs connected to the WLC already?
Have you been through the best practices guide (below)?
Have you checked the WLC config with https://cway.cisco.com/wireless-config-analyzer/ using the output from "show tech wireless"?

Yes there are AP's that are already connected.

I haven't gone through any of those links that your provided but I will today. Thanks for the help!!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card