cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP join to controller

Chieu Dinh
Level 1
Level 1

I have the AP set to static IP address. During the discovery process, the AP is keep changing to DHCP and pick up some of the IP from another subnet. however, I have the AP is connect on the right subnet with the controller. The AP can't find the controller to join. Is there some way to debug the discovery process on AP? Where can I check the AP if it is join or reach to the controller? I am really appreciated that.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thats normal procedure. If you set a static address and if the ap cant join a wlc it falls back to DHCP.

It seems like your issue is a join problem. Can you share what method of joining are you using?

DHCP Option 43

DNS

Forward UDP

Broadcast

You can manually prime your AP. Go to CLI in the AP and type the following:

TEST-AP-GEORGES-DESK#capwap ap controller ip address ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thats normal procedure. If you set a static address and if the ap cant join a wlc it falls back to DHCP.

It seems like your issue is a join problem. Can you share what method of joining are you using?

DHCP Option 43

DNS

Forward UDP

Broadcast

You can manually prime your AP. Go to CLI in the AP and type the following:

TEST-AP-GEORGES-DESK#capwap ap controller ip address ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

You are right. The AP can't contact the controller then it falls back to DHCP.

Method of joining is:

- tar -xtract the recovery image C1310-rcvk9w8-mx to the ap.

- Set IP_ADDR

- Set DEFAULT_ROUTER

- Set NETMASK

- boot

- at the AP00000.0000.000#lwapp ap ip address 192.168.0.100 255.255.255.0

- at the AP00000.0000.000#lwapp ap controller ip address 192.168.0.50

I can ping the controller from the ap after set the static ip on the ap. But after a few minutes, it run the DHCP.

I have a join problem. Do you know where I can check for this?

Thanks

What code is your controller on ?

Also, please capture what the CLI is showing after the AP boots, please.