cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP migration to Cisco 8500 controllers

David James
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have two 5508 controllers and 800+ access points that we are going to migrate over to the 8510 WLC.  Is there a documented way to controller what controller the AP will connect to?  We want to be able to migrate the AP's off the 5508 controllers over to the 8500's but because we have numerous remote sites with wireless access points we want to do this a controlled fashion.

3 Replies 3

gnijs
Level 4
Level 4

Having the same problem. Interesting to know.

I am currently looking at including the controller IP first in the list of DHCP options. However, i am not sure what will happen if an AP connects or tries to connect that is not supported by the controller. I hope the AP skips to the next controller in the list...

I did find out that I can create a dhcp scope (option 43) for each specific access point that I have that will tell the AP which controller to connect to.  Since I will have both 3500 and 3600 series accces points I will have to have two separate dhcp scopes defined for eash series of AP.  Stupid question  but can two scopes share the same address pool?

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Please refer to the link for the documentation which might help -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn73.html

Hope this will help you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card