cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP not registering on the local controller.

kolhe.saurabh
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 5500 wireless controller and 3308 model AP. This is a new implementation. The APs connected on a switch should connect to the local controller but instead it is registering on the main head office controller. The option set for the whole sub net is defined and the local controller is also defined in the option 43 of the pool. 

When i saw the logs on the AP, i can see that the AP is getting all settings from the option set. It is also getting the local controller from the option set but it is registering to the HO controller. The AP connects to the local controller if local controller is defined in high availability tab in the controller.Below is the sequence:

1. AP is sending request to the local controller and 2 other HO controllers.

2. AP is getting the discovery response from all the 3 controllers.

3. CAPWAP-CONTROLLER_CISCO.domain.com is resolved by domain naming server as a HO controller.

4. AP sends join request to HO controller. Then the AP joins.

The AP is not joining the local controller no matter what.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. Use CLI and enter the command "sh ap join stats summary".
2. Find the MAC address of the AP that isn't joining.
3. Post the complete output to the command "sh ap join stats detail <BASE MAC ADDRESS>".

I found the below:

1. shows status as not joined for the desired AP.

2. The MAC address was found

3. WLC Name >show ap join stats detailed <AP MAC Address>
     No join information found for AP: <AP MAC Address>

Post the complete output to #3 or I stop providing any assistance.

Jonas Kalldert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

There are a couple of things the AP does when selecting a AP to join. Here is a link to what order the AP does things.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/70333-lap-registration.html#anc8

What WLC are you using both the local and central.

What version on Local and central WLC

What AP are you using? 3308 is not a AP number I know but I'm guessing you mean 3802?

Test to let the AP join the central WLC and specify the local WLC as primary in HA tab on the AP.

Also make shure that the Local WLC are running at least 8.2.110 which is the first release supporting the 3802. But use the latest recomended for your WLC that supports the APs you are using.

regards,
Jonas
**Don't forget to rate helpful posts**

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card