cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1261n access point 802.11n question

tmckeown252
Level 1
Level 1

I just replaced one of our old 1231 access points with a 1261n. The spec says it is 802.11n compliant but something seems odd to me. When I go into the config for the radio, it only shows data rates up to 54Mb/sec. That's the same as on our old 1231, which only did 802.11g. I'm sure I'm just not understanding someting. Can someone explain what I'm missing?

Thanks

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For 802.11n there are also MCS rates that allow for higher speed. Remember that 802.11n requires either open authentication or the use of WPA2/AES. Also requires that wmm be enabled on the SSID.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the super quick reply! You must have known I bought it from CDW. :-)

I couldn't run our network open and I have a few wireless IP phones that can't do WPA2. So I guess it's new phones or slower data rates.

Haha.... My CDW alarm went off:). Well you can always have laptops and or other devices that support 802.11n connect. So yeah... Your limited to what the device supports.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hamilton.tom
Level 1
Level 1

MCS rates have to be enabled on the controller.

Tom

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I just replaced one of our old 1231 access points with a 1261n.

1261 only has ONE radio, 802.11b/g.  If you want to push full 802.11n, you need to have 802.11a/n radio and do channel bonding.

leolaohoo,

I know there is only the 2.4GHZ band on this access point but I was led to believe that it could do 802.11n without the 5GHZ band. Was I misinformed?

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm still trying to get my head around 802.11n.

you can still do 802.11n.....what Leo was meaning with 'full' 802.11n is the 40MHz channel bond to get up to 300Mbps

with only 2.4 the best you'll get is 144MBps,

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the clarification Steve. I've been searching for some documentation that can help me understand how N works with and without the 5GHZ band. I hate to ask stupid questions, but sometimes that's the only kind I have. :-)

Happens to all of us!

Hit Wikipedia for 802.11n. Has a pretty good breakdown

HTH,
Steve

I've been searching for some documentation that can help me understand how N works with and without the 5GHZ band. I hate to ask stupid questions, but sometimes that's the only

Sorry Tom, but your questions ain't classed as "stupid" or "dumb".  It's a very, very good question.

And for the record, you ain't the first person to ask this question and nor are you the first person to be "conned" by a sales person about 802.11b/g that will perform "full" 802.11n. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card