Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1832I Cannot join more APs after configuring Master with Mob Expr

ronb7gens
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day,

I have ten Cisco AIR-AP1832I-A-K9C units that I am setting up for one of my schools.  I used the Cisco Mobility Express to configure the first unit as the Master and it is working fine.  

I plugged another unit into the same switch, it gets an IP address from the router DHCP lease list, but the IP doesn't show in the Wireless Lan Controller.  I can edit it to give it a static IP address, but it won't accept the changes and I get the following message:

"Error, unable to verify AP.  AP does not exist, or is not registered".

Master AP is type "ME Capable", second unit type is "CAPWAP".  The manual says that I can use that type as a subordinate AP as this will be a group of ten units.

I set up a set of 1852 APs several years ago, and don't recall having this issue.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ronb7gens
Level 1
Level 1

Problem Solved!

Well, it took some doing but I have all ten units configured and joined correctly.

On the Software Update page for the Master AP, I noticed this morning two selections (can't remember the exact wording), but having to do with Auto Discovery and Join.  Those were not on, I selected them and hit Apply, and I was then able to add more APs (did one at a time) without having to re-push the software update.  

In summary, here is what I did:

> Set up working network with the internal network address of the school these APs will be installed - Cisco RV130 router, 24-port POE switch

> Configured the Master AP via CiscoAirProvision 

> Plugged in two more APs

>> APs would not join or show IP addresses; their type was "Capwap" versus the Master AP type of "ME Capable"

> I setup a TFTP server on my laptop and downloaded a later version of the software for these units

> Using the Software Update screen in Mobility Express for the Master AP, I pushed out the software to the APS via the TFTP method

>> The APs started downloading and updating

>> The APs type changed to "ME Capable" - I was able to give them their static IPs and named them

> Started working on rest of units, they weren't updating

>> Set on the Auto Discovery and Join as mentioned above

>> Units started downloading and updating

> I set up the rest of the units with no further issues

Not sure if I had to do the updates to get these configured - possibly just turning on the Auto Discovery and Join may have done it withe software that came with the units.  However, the software updates are done and it's probably good that I did them.

Thanks to rrudling for your help and pointing me in the right direction.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich R
VIP
VIP

1. What version is the ME AP running?  What version is the CAPWAP AP running?

2. If they're not on the same version then the CAPWAP AP will need to download the correct version.  So have you setup a TFTP server for that with the AP images for that version and configured the TFTP server on the ME WLC (it tells the CAPWAP AP where to get the image)?

You say " I can edit it to give it a static IP address, but it won't accept the changes"! If it didn't appear on the WLC how could you edit it?  There's no reason why you should need to use static IPs.

Does the WLC show it's own AP (which requires a 2nd DHCP IP for the ME AP)?

It would be useful to show the join stats from the WLC "show ap join stats summary all" and "show ap join stats detailed <ap_mac>" as well as the full console log from the capwap AP from power on.  Attach as .txt file - don't paste hundreds of lines into your post.

Also "show sysinfo" and "show time" from the WLC.

Hi rrudling,

Thank you for the reply and the request for more information.  I will provide some more background info as well as what you asked for.

First, I am working with a batch of ten AIR-AP1832I-A-K9C units that I ordered all at the same time.  I purchased these for use at one of the schools I support.  As the school is a 1.5 hour drive (each way, down a secondary/logging road), I wanted to set the units up in my office before going to the school.  To do this, I set up a 24-port POE switch to provide power for the APs.  

I picked one unit and proceeded to set it up using the CiscoAirProvision method, setting all parameters to fit the intended school's network address scheme (192.168.25.1-254).  This first unit became the Master unit (25.40).  It was then basically ready to go.

Next, I configured a Cisco 130 wireless router with the school's addressing scheme of 192.168.25.1-254.  I plugged the POE port into the router and set up DHCP on the router so that subsequent APs would get a 25.x address.  

I plugged the second router in to the switch and the router gave it an address of 25.103 in its Lease table.

Using the 1830 Mobility Express GUI to administer the setup, I could see the Master AP (set as type "ME Capable", while the second AP showed as type "CAPWAP".  The second AP has 0.0.0.0 as the IP address in this GUI.  I edited the second AP to have an IP address of 25.42, with the proper subnet and gateway, renamed the unit and set a location.  However, I got several error messages as mentioned in my original post, and the changes were not kept by the AP.

I did several resets of the Master AP, and the second AP, all to no avail.  I added a third AP in case the second one was corrupted or something, but I have the same issue.

I have attached a screenshot showing the status of the APs, as well as a text file with the results from some of the queries you requested.  

I cannot connect to the second or third APs using Putty, as they won't connect using the router DHCP addresses, or the default Cisco IP address, so I can't get a log file as you wanted.  (I used SSH for the connection type).  Any suggestions on how to connect to these via Putty would be appreciated).

The Maste AP sofware version is 8.5.140.0.  I downloaded newer software AIR-AP1830-K9-ME-8-10-151-0 and tried to update it via HTTP, selecting file called  ap1g4  (there are two files like this - ap1g4 and ap1g4-capwap).  However, I get an error message stating that the HTTP code transfer failed.  So the software did not get updated.  I can't access the second and third APs to see what their software level is as mentioned above.

Thank you for your time so far with this issue.

ronb7gens
Level 1
Level 1

UPDATE

I set up my laptop with a TFTP server and after some fiddling with connections and firewalls, was able to update my Master AP and the two other units I have been working with so far.  The updates were successful, I now have software level 8.10.151.0, and I was able to edit the settings on the two other units with the static ip addresses I wanted for them.  All three APs are now showing up in the AP list.

(FYI, I found this thread which was helpful with regards to some of the TFTP aspects:  https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/joining-a-new-ap1832i-with-an-existing-mobility-express-ap-1832i/m-p/4020869.)  Also, these instructions from the Cisco Mobility Express Deployment Guide were helpful as well:

Step 1  Download the AP Image bundle from cisco.com to the TFTP server.
Step 2  Unzip the AP Image bundle to extract individual AP Images.
Step 3  To perform Software Update via TFTP Transfer Mode, navigate to Management > Software Update and configure the following:
  • Select TFTP for Transfer Mode.

• Enter the IP Address of the TFTP server in the IP Address (IPv4) field.

• Enter the File Path to the unzipped AP images on the TFTP Server.

Note   

The most common mistake made is entering this path correctly. It is important that this path be entered correctly before going to the next step. Do not point to individual AP image. You need to only point to the directory which contains the AP images.

Step 4  Click Apply.
Step 5  Click Update Now to initiate software update.
Note   

To Schedule Update at a later time, user must select a date and time in Set Update Time field and then click on the Schedule Later button. It is recommended that the Set Reboot Time should be at least 2 hours from the time pre-image download was initiated. This will ensure that pre-image download on all Access Points in the Mobility Express Network has completed.

Tomorrow I will work on the rest of the units.  I will see if they join and get the software update automatically, or if I have to push out the update via TFTP.  

It appears my issue may be resolved but I will confirm this.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Bearing in mind I've hardly used ME at all so not very familiar with it - I think I know what your problem was (based on AireOS similarity to regular WLC)

But first - your NTP is not synched - probably not the cause of your problem this time but if you want APs to join reliably you must have your controller synched to NTP.

So to understand what I think your problem was you need to understand the AP join process:

1. Discover WLC

2. Check software version (I actually can't remember right now if the check is done at discover or join but not material at this point)

3. Join WLC and if software version isn't matched then download correct software version

4. Reload onto correct software

5. Join WLC and get config etc from WLC.

In stage 3 the AP sort of looks joined but is not fully configured and is not configurable (any attempt produces errors) - all it can do is download software at that point.  On a regular WLC the status shows as downloading whereas at stage 5 it shows REG (registered).

I think that's what you encountered.

ronb7gens
Level 1
Level 1

Problem Solved!

Well, it took some doing but I have all ten units configured and joined correctly.

On the Software Update page for the Master AP, I noticed this morning two selections (can't remember the exact wording), but having to do with Auto Discovery and Join.  Those were not on, I selected them and hit Apply, and I was then able to add more APs (did one at a time) without having to re-push the software update.  

In summary, here is what I did:

> Set up working network with the internal network address of the school these APs will be installed - Cisco RV130 router, 24-port POE switch

> Configured the Master AP via CiscoAirProvision 

> Plugged in two more APs

>> APs would not join or show IP addresses; their type was "Capwap" versus the Master AP type of "ME Capable"

> I setup a TFTP server on my laptop and downloaded a later version of the software for these units

> Using the Software Update screen in Mobility Express for the Master AP, I pushed out the software to the APS via the TFTP method

>> The APs started downloading and updating

>> The APs type changed to "ME Capable" - I was able to give them their static IPs and named them

> Started working on rest of units, they weren't updating

>> Set on the Auto Discovery and Join as mentioned above

>> Units started downloading and updating

> I set up the rest of the units with no further issues

Not sure if I had to do the updates to get these configured - possibly just turning on the Auto Discovery and Join may have done it withe software that came with the units.  However, the software updates are done and it's probably good that I did them.

Thanks to rrudling for your help and pointing me in the right direction.  

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Thanks for confirming the outcome.  Glad we could help.  Hopefully this helps the next person with the same problem.

I would still be struggling with this issue if this forum and users like you weren't around to share your knowledge, experience and insights.  I really appreciate your assistance in this matter.  Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card