Views
Helpful
Replies

AP2802I Mesh backhaul

jordan72
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I want to create my first mesh network with 2802 as controller and RAP and a 3802 as a MAP.

I am still a little bit unclear about the backhaul.

Will the 5GHz soly used for the backhaul traffic or will clients also be able to use the 5GHz ?

And if so, will it decrease the 5GHz performance of the clients when running 5Ghz ?

Can someone please clarify what is the case.

What I read from other mesh vendors, they have a separate/dedicated interface for the backhaul.

Regards

Volker Jordan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That's true. In that area Cisco currently doesn't offer a product, if you need both frequencies served. Or at least I don't know of any such product. But as you anyway need to wire a power cable to them, you could directly install a LAN cable. Of course, if you already have power outlets, this will not make you happy. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Arshad Safrulla
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

2802 cant be used as either RAP or MAP. 

incase if you are using 3802's as both RAP and MAP, since it supports dual 5GHz radios you can dedicate a 5GHz radio for Mesh backhaul and use the other 5Ghz radio for client serving purposes. Please make sure that you use correct Antennas. 

based on the factsheet, 2802 also has dual 5GHz support.

But regardless, lets take the 3802. It would mean, that I only have a 5GHz environment. 2.4GHz will not be available ? 

If the AP is dual 5Ghz there will not be any radios broadcasting in 2.4GHz. 

ok, so Cisco has no accesspoint which support a mesh network with 2.4 and 5 GHz ?

The last document I've found is this:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_mesh_88/b_mesh_88_chapter_01.html

It lists the following (old) indoor models for Mesh:

Cisco Aironet 1600 Series Access Points
Cisco Aironet 1700 Series Access Points
Cisco Aironet 2600 Series Access Points
Cisco Aironet 2700 Series Access Points
Cisco Aironet 3500 Series Access Points
Cisco Aironet 3600 Series Access Points
Cisco Aironet 3700 Series Access Points
Cisco Aironet 1530 Series Access Points
Cisco Aironet 1540 Series Access Points
Cisco Aironet 1550 Series Access Points
Cisco Aironet 1560 Series Access Points
Cisco Aironet 1570 Series Access Points
Cisco Industrial Wireless 3700 Series Access Points

I was unable to find a list for WLC 8.10. 

Now for the newer Catalyst 9800 controllers, the list looks better:

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/9800/17-1/deployment-guide/c9800-mesh-rel-17-1.pdf

• Cisco Aironet 1560 (1562) series outdoor mesh access points
• Cisco Aironet 1540 (1542) Series outdoor mesh access points
• Cisco Aironet 1572 (1572) Series outdoor mesh access points
Note: 1572 series Outdoor AP is not supported in the DNAC.
• Cisco Aironet Wave-1 indoor APs: 1700, 2700 and 3700 series.
• Cisco Aironet Wave-2 indoor APs: 1815i, 1815m, 1830,1850, 2800, 3800 and 4800 series

I hope this information helps you somewhat. I have never configured a Mesh with Cisco, but in the past I thought you needed to order them as Mesh models.

But all have only two radios, and as one radio is used for the backhaul, I actually need to decide whether I go with a 2.4GHz or 5GHz for the clients.

Most of the mesh solutions sold from other vendors currently have three radios. 5GHz for the backhaul and 2.4 AND 5 GHz for the clients. 

That's true. In that area Cisco currently doesn't offer a product, if you need both frequencies served. Or at least I don't know of any such product. But as you anyway need to wire a power cable to them, you could directly install a LAN cable. Of course, if you already have power outlets, this will not make you happy. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card