Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple iDevice printing via Bonjour on Cisco 5508, OS 7.4.100

Kyle Gatlin
Level 1
Level 1

I have followed the details here as closely as I can:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_tech_note09186a0080bb1d7c.shtml

I've upgraded to 7.4.  I've enabled IGMP snooping, increased the time out, decreased the query/hello interval, went into Controller> menu and set

AP Multicast Mode to Multicast with the Bonjour multicast range of 224.0.0.251.

Went into my WLAN and enabled Multicast VLAN Feature, and enabled my Multicast Interface as the same VLAN as the WLAN range.

The Lantronix Bonjour device is on the same VLAN as the WLAN (13).  Accessing the Lantronix device shows it polling printers on our wired VLAN.  However, no iDevice that joins the WLAN/SSID can find these printers.

Any ideas?

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your multicast address should be using 239.x.x.x.

Also do you have multicast running on the switches and layer 3. Verify if you see multicast on the switch side.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I thought that may be the problem but the people at Bonjour told me their multicast address range was specifically 224.0.0.251.

I have enabled multicast with "ip multicast-routing".  This is a large trunked network with only the edge device providing routing for VLANs via SVIs.  Turned ip pim dense on the 4 and 13 vlans and the management VLAN for the WLC.  I'll test again to see if this works.

Thanks for the quick reply so far! 

ed 

No go!

224.0.0.251 is the multicast group address the apple devices use... you cant assign that to the WLC.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a good thread also

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2176148

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Also keep the devices on the same subnet unless you are using the bonjour gateway.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

We do have a Bonjour Gateway!  Lantronix I believe is the device name.  I may try putting a few printers in the VLAN 13 range to see what happens. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card