cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple TV 1080p ios5.1 Connectivity

psiegling
Level 1
Level 1

We are a college academic environment. Are beginning to deploy AppleTV 1080p units to classroom for iPad mirroring, video streaming and presentations, and other teacher driven academic applications.

Environment:

Aironet 1252 Access Points

WLAN 4404 controllers (software V:7.0.116.0)

AppleTV 1080p at iOS 5.1

3750G Switches for AP uplinks. Running 12.2(55)

Using a VLAN defined for Wireless Devices only. Security is WPA2 using ASCII key.

Situation: When using the 720p version of AppleTV, the device would disconnect from the network and communications drop. When the 1080p devices were brought in, the drop condition disappeared. When the 1080p were updated from 5.0 to 5.1, the drop condition returned. It appears that the AppleTV device is authenticating to the controller, however, sometimes the device is visible on the network, and functioning, but not authenticated to the AP.

There does not appear to be any correlation with the authentication, or de-authentication of the AppleTV device and loss of connectivity. No errors on the controller are showing, and there does not appear to be any placing of the AppleTV device in the EXCLUDE or Disable groups.

The loss of connectivity seems to be between the AP and the AppleTV, and not related to controller actions.

Has anyone had experience with this? Has anyone had experience with using AppleTV in a Cisco wireless infrastructure?

Thank you,

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have used it and wig all the post about Apple TV on this forum, I decided to buy one to test out. So I do have his working fine in my home lab. Have you looked at the documents and other post regarding Apple TV?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is one link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-24187

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

mrdorshimer
Level 1
Level 1

We are experiencing a similar issue since the upgrade to iOS 5.1

AppleTV 720p and 1080p with iOS 5.1

1262 and 3502 Access Points

WiSM-2 controllers with 7.2.103.0

2960s and 3560g Switches for AP uplinks on 12.2(58)SE1 and 12.2(55)SE4 respectively

ISC DHCP 3.0.5 and 4.2.4-P2

Prime Infrastructure generates a Minor Security alarm causing condition Client Excluded with error message:

Client 'mac address (ip address) which was associated with

interface '802.11a/n' of AP 'AP Name' is excluded. The reason code

is '3(Attempted to use IP Address assigned to another device)'.

We've have a few 1080p AppleTVs that still have 5.0x code on them, they work fine. We were suspecting issues could be related to 5.1's introduction of an updated DHCPv6 client handed down from OS X 10.7 Lion. The theory is the device is DHCP flapping between ipv4 and ipv6. We are ipv4 only on that network. Logs show a new DHCPREQUEST from the device every 30 seconds or so.

Setting a static IPv4 address did not resolve the issue.

We jailbroke a 5.1 720p AppleTV and attempted to disable ipv6 but our changes did not resolve the problem. For reference we tried using commands:

root# /usr/sbin/ipconfig set en1 NONE-V6

and

root# /usr/bin/ip6conf -x

Interested to see what others have experienced. There are several threads on other sites regarding similar sounding issues with various network gear. One for example:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4094180?start=90&tstart=0

Jeremy Hutterer
Level 1
Level 1

You can turn off IP theft on the controller and it will resolve the issue.   I would prefer not to use that fix, has anyone fixed this without turning off IP theft?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card