cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Backup and failover recommandations

Hello,

I have two 5508 WLC's setup to run about 200 AP's as the moment.  This is a hospital with patient care now running over wireless.  I am looking for the best scenario to minimize down time.  Currently both controllers are in the same mobility group and I will be setting the primary / secondary controller in the High Availability tab for each AP.  Most setting are all default still.

My question:

Would it better to setup the primary/secondary from the global configuration?

Can I leave them in the same mobility group if I use the global configuration?

My only problem so far is having AP's on different controllers caused some response delay as clients move from one controller to the other.  I need to find the best possible response time with the lowest possible fail-over time.  Any recommondeations or links to a good article on this subject?

Thanks,

Todd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

What you would want to do is set the Primay/Secondary on a Per AP basis, the global configuration are technically 4th and 5th in the WLC failover process. 

You could do this via the CLI, or NCS/WCS if you have it.

Yes keeping them in the same mobility group would be preferred.

As for the roaming, are the WLC using the same layer 2 vlan/subnets, or are they using different ones? 

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

What you would want to do is set the Primay/Secondary on a Per AP basis, the global configuration are technically 4th and 5th in the WLC failover process. 

You could do this via the CLI, or NCS/WCS if you have it.

Yes keeping them in the same mobility group would be preferred.

As for the roaming, are the WLC using the same layer 2 vlan/subnets, or are they using different ones? 

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Both WLC's are in the same subnet.  I had one AP out of six in a patient area switch over to the secondary and there was a strange delay when clients moved in and out of that AP area.  I figured it was relating to a different management IP or something.  Of course that was before I read up that both WLC should have the same Virtual IP...

Highlighted

I have read some instructions for changing the timeout’s and polling.  Does anyone recommend this or are the defaults acceptable? I want minimal downtime but I also need stability. Anyone have horror stories they want to share or some best practice advice?

Highlighted

If you need AP SSO then use the new HA from 7.3 code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bd3504.shtml